African Union Recruitment 2021 is ongoing as jobs and career vacancies open for interested and suitably qualified candidates. Apply for African Union Job Recruitment 2021 slated to close immediately the application deadline elapses. AU is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter / Translator – English
Ref ID: No ACHPR/2021/05
Duty Station: Banjul, The Gambia
Employment Type: Full time
Grade: P4 (Regular)
Supervisor: Secretary to the Commission
Department: African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- Be responsible for the Interpretation at the sessions and meetings of the ACHPR as well as for translating of the documents of the ACHPR from French, or Portuguese/Arabic into English.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Secretary to the Commission, the Interpreter/Translator shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Carry out functions related to the functioning of the Interpretation and Translation Unit
- Liaise with the various Units of the ACHPR for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepare budgets for the Translation and Interpretation Unit in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Maintain databases, records and registers of Translation and Interpretation Unit for accountability and control.
- Provide simultaneous, interpretation during conferences, statutory Sessions and meetings of the ACHPR audience’s discussions etc.
- Provide consecutive , liaison and other forms of interpretation whenever required
- Check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding of use of AU technical terminologies.
- Ensure all documents of the ACHPR are prepared in all working languages of the African Union, and that all documents emanating from the ACHPR are of an impeccable standard in terminology, syntax, style and presentation, and provide quality translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner.
- Check working documents before interpretation and before and after translation to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminologies.
- Regularly consult colleagues, specialized dictionaries/glossaries, data banks;
- Refer to appropriate reference sources to ensure translation accuracy.
- Participate in the development of AU terminology database by compiling terms in the course of their work into glossaries for subsequent validation by the Reviser and inclusion in the ACHPR in-house terminology bank.
- Regularly update specific terminologies, phrases, special expressions, lexicons and acronyms in order to expand vocabulary and enhance skills.
- Have a good working knowledge of the Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT);
- Protect the confidentiality of information;
- Ensure quality translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner and in the respective AU working languages; and
- Perform any other duty relevant to their work as may be assigned by the Secretary to the Commission, the Deputy Secretary to the Commission or immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Work Experience
- Candidates must have a Master’s Degree in Interpretation, Translation, Modern Languages or related fields from a recognized institution.
- 7 years experience as an interpreter / Translator out of which 3 years should be at expert level.
- A degree in Legal studies will be an added advantage.
- Certification of Translator/ Interpreter’s professional member status from a recognized professional body is essential.
Other Required skills
Functional Skills and competencies:
- Good translation and editing skills, with the ability to produce accurate and clear translations.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Good communication and interpretational skills.
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to work in a multicultural and international work environment.
- Ability to work on own initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a proactive manner.
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with peers.
- Ability to work under pressure and met tight deadline.
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Experience in linguistic research and development data-base.
- Knowledge of Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT).
- An understanding of the confidential nature of this area of work.
- Strategic Insight: Assesses and links short-term, day-to-day tasks in the context of long-term business strategies or a long-term perspective; considers whether short-term goals will meet long-term objectives.
- Developing others: Is able to work in a team and share ideas with others.
- Change Management: Develops new approaches and takes calculated risks in trying something new. Fosters a climate in which others feel safe to contribute their suggestions.
- Managing Risk: Takes moderate risks in pursuing new ideas that will enhance a project. Makes decisions with potential negative consequences.
- Building Relationship: Establishes a wide network of internal and external contacts that enables the individual to gather information and utilise the strengths and abilities of others in order to enhance organisational and performance.
- Forster Accountability Culture: Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans for contingencies-creates plans that factor in time for unexpected problems and uncertainties.
- Learning Orientation: Develops and monitors the implementation of learning and development plans for the team. Establishes mechanisms to facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing in own area.
- Communication with Influence: Projects authority and credibility and makes impact. Communicates in a clear, to-the-point and convincing manner in order to inform or influence opinions of others. Presents the key points of the argument persuasively.
- Conceptual Thinking: Makes multiple causal links, analyses relationships among several parts of a problem or situation. Anticipates obstacles and thinks ahead about next steps.
- Job Knowledge Sharing: Identifies opportunities, methods and approaches for delivering value through improved information management. Delivers relevant knowledge and information in most appropriate form.
- Drive for Result: Respects team goals and focuses work to meet goals that are a definite stretch, but not unrealistic or impossible. Delivers to specific goals and improves performance.
- Continuous Improvement Orientation: Improves performance by doing something that may be new and different in the organization, but not necessarily new to the public sector.
- Applicants must be proficient in English language and French of the AU working languages. Knowledge of Arabic or Portuguese or several other AU working languages would be a distinct advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be a regular appointment for a period of three (3) years, the first twelve months of which will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a renewable period of two years, subject to satisfactory performance.
- The ACHPR is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$17,514.00 per annum, education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for every eligible dependent for national and locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2021.
How to Apply for African Union Recruitment 2021
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter, a CV, relevant certificate/diploma, at least 1 reference, and any other material / information deemed necessary to supporting the application
- At least 1 reference
Applications can be ashould be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Interpreter / Translator – English” or in person.
Applications should be submitted not later than the closing date above and should be addressed to the postal address below or email indicated above.
Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
31 Bijilo Annex Layout, Kombo North District, Western Region,
P.O. Box, 673 Banjul,
Tel: (+220) 441 05 05, (+220) 441 05 06
Notes: Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.