African Union Recruitment 2021 is ongoing as jobs and career vacancies open for interested and suitably qualified candidates. Apply for African Union Job Recruitment 2021 slated to close immediately the application deadline elapses. AU is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Officer
Vacancy No: ACHPR/2021/02
Duty Station: Banjul, The Gambia
Employment Type: Fixed Term, non-renewable
Supervisor: Secretary to the Commission
Directorate: Secretariat of the ACHPR
- Be responsible for researching and monitoring human rights development within Africa and prepare advisories as necessary and also contribute to articles / publications.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Secretary to the Commission, the Research Officer shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake research into thematic human rights issues of interest to the African context.
- Carryout extensive legal research, particularly on international human rights law as well as monitor relevant developments in international human rights law.
- Write information materials for external and internal circulation including discussion papers and policy guidelines on interpretations and applications of human rights norms.
- Assist the Commission in formulating and laying down principles and rules aimed at solving legal problems relating to human and peoples’ rightsand fundamental freedoms upon which African governments may base their legislation.
- Conducting legal research required of the human rights situation in individual countries including, in particular, data and information related to thematic areas
- Ensuringprovision of necessary inputs to the preparatory process of State Periodic Reports,including supervising the drafting of relevant documents.
- Analyzing data and information from countries and other forms of research as required.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Work Experience
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations or other related disciplines with a minimum of five (5) years postgraduate work experience in related field. Or Master’sdegree in Law, Political Science, International Relations or other related disciplines with a minimum of two (2) years postgraduate work experience.
- Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) yearsof relevant practical experience, preferably within a major Government, International Organization, Public or Private sector organization.
- Building Relationship: Establishes a wide network of internal and external contacts that enables the individual to gather information and utilize the strengths and abilities of others in order to enhance organizational and performance.
- Forster Accountability Culture: Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans for contingencies – creates plans that factor in time for unexpected problems and uncertainties.
- Learning Orientation: Develops and monitors the implementation of learning and development plans for the team. Establishes mechanisms to facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing in own area.
- Communication with Influence: Projects authority and credibility and makes impact. Communicates in a clear, to – the – point and convincing manner in order to inform or influence opinions of others. Presents the key points of the argument persuasively.
Other Relevant Skills:
- An in-depth understanding of the African human rights system and of comparative or international human rights law.
- Good analytical skills and knowledge of the African Union policies and procedures.
- Excellent drafting legal pleadings and argumentative skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to prepare legal submissions and opinions.
- Concentration, accuracy, and ability to work under minimum supervision and under pressure.
- Respect for confidentiality and good public relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good communication and planning skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of international organizations.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact with people with various expertise and consolidate their inputs.
- Demonstrate effective ability for teamwork, as well as the ability to work independently.
- Have demonstrated excellent analytical capability.
- Have a full knowledge of computer systems including internet navigation and various Microsoft office applications such as MS – Word, MS – Excel, MS – Access and MS – PowerPoint.
- Excellent research, report writing and drafting skills.
- Candidates must have an excellent command of at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic and Portuguese). Knowledge of one other language or several working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of two (2) years and six(6) months (Non – Renewable).
- The ACHPR is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The net salary for this post shall be USD 77, 122.80 (all-inclusive).
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2021.
How to Apply for African Union Recruitment 2021
Interested and qualified candidates should send a complete application which should include a cover letter, a CV, relevant certificate/diploma, at least 1 reference, and any other material/ information deemed necessary to supporting the application.
Applications may be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research Officer” or in person.
Applications should be addressed to the postal address indicated below:
Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights,
31 Bijilo Annex Layout, Kombo North District, Western Region,
P.O. Box 673, Banjul,
Tel: (+220) 441 05 05, (+220) 441 05 06
Note: Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.