African Union Recruitment 2021 is ongoing as jobs and career vacancies open for interested and suitably qualified candidates. Apply for African Union Job Recruitment 2021 slated to close immediately the application deadline elapses. AU is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secretary to the Commission
Requisition ID: 252
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethipoia
Employment Type: 3-year Contract
Reports to: Chairperson of the Commission
Directorate: Secretary to the Commission
Job Grade: D1
Number of Direct Reports: 3
Number of Indirect Reports: 15
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Office of the Secretary of the Commission in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Office and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy
- Manages and supervises employees within the Office, ensures the timely delivery of the Office’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions
- Ensures the delivery of the Office’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Office
- Manages the work of the Office and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system
- Leads the Office and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates / Departments
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the Office
- Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Office
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Office
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Office.
- Serves as the Commission’s focal point for relations and communications with Member States and the Union Organs and ensures smooth relations between the Commission and all Union Organs
- Serves as the Secretariat of the Commission, with respect to planning, managing and servicing statutory meetings and the Union’s Policy Organs, the Permanent Representatives Committee and Commission meetings
- Assists the Chairperson of the Commission in monitoring the implementation of the Decisions of the Union’s Policy Organs
- Serves as the institutional memory Office for the Commission and other Organs of the AU
- Establishes a horizontal link between Departments and Directorates for smooth, consistent and effective implementation of AU decisions
- Ensures that all documentation for the meetings and the work of the Policy Organs are properly prepared, in line with the vision and mission of the Union, are duly processed and dispatched in a timely manner to Member States
- Ensures that the outcomes of meetings, such as decisions and reports are properly finalized, and disseminated on time to Member States
- Ensures that those documents are properly stored and accessible at any time and to manage a Databank of documentation of the Union
- Performs any other relevant duties, as may be assigned by the supervisor
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Law, Diplomacy, International Relations Public Administration, or in related field with at least fifteen (15) years experience in progressively responsible positions, with eight (8) years at a senior management level out of which five (5) years should be in a supervisory role
- Proven experience in facilitating national or intergovernmental decision-making processes
- Proven experience in policy formulation
- Ability to use strong managerial delegation, political tact and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top level stakeholders
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- The African Union working languages are Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. Proficiency in at least two (2) of the AU working languages of the Union is required. Knowledge of any of the other three languages will be an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact.
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 78, 138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2021.
How to Apply for African Union Recruitment 2021
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.