African Union Recruitment 2021 is ongoing as jobs and career vacancies open for interested and suitably qualified candidates. Apply for African Union Job Recruitment 2021 slated to close immediately the application deadline elapses. AU is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Planning, Monitoring Evaluation Officer (Fixed term non-renewable)
Location: Banjul, The Gambia.
Supervisor: Secretary to the Commission
Directorate: African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- The Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation officer will be responsible for designing and implementing the Monitoring and Evaluation activities of the ACHPR; assisting the Secretary to the Commission in preparing Quarterly, mid-year, and annual reports on progress and performance in meeting the mandate of ACHPR and will monitor the project activities on a regular basis, developing and maintaining the MIS of the Project.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Secretary to the Commission to the Commission, the Senior Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Planning, Designing, Coordination and Management:
- Develop and implement a robust MEAL System for ACHPR, ensuring that it is institutionalized within the existing ACHPR management framework. This includes establishing policy, procedure, theories of change and tools for data collection and use consistent with M&E resources, log frame to demonstrate results and impact and build ACPR staff capacity to understand and use the M&E system
- Work with ACHPR staff to collect activity-specific quantitative and qualitative data, maintain quality assurance of data collected, coordinate overall ACHPR quantitative and qualitative data collection
- Lead the compilation, validation and analysis of data collected from Intervention and activities of ACPHR & AU member states, consolidate into reports and disseminate for knowledge management
- Establish and promote programming quality and innovation, which will be achieved through developing and improving monitoring, evaluation, impact assessment and learning methodologies
- Ensure that all activities in the ACHPR are continually monitored and that lessons are documented and communicated to inform on-going implementation and future programming
- Guide the ACHPR Team in designing and implementing activities that are outcome and impact-focused and enhance accountability to stakeholders in line with International donors’ policies and practices
- Provide strategic support to the ACHPR for improved project management and implementation informed by Project Design documents, Annual work plan and M&E Result frameworks
- Develop and update monitoring tools to track ACHPR and other project activities, develop and update M&E Plan consistent with the annual E framework, Log frame, in consultation with ACHPR staff
- Update the progress and provide timely analysis to develop and update ACHPR overall strategic plan and framework, outcome and impact chain and intervention logics;
- Support ACHPR management team and staff in developing and implementing organization annual work plans, overall monitoring framework including capturing of learning and achievements
- Lead the development and coordinate ACHPR staff in preparing indicator protocol sheets (indicator description/profile) of project indicators mentioned in project documents;
- Lead the development of comprehensive baseline statistics for key project variables, coordinate setting of target and collect periodic data and information against the baseline to assess and report on the overall progress of these variable
- Take lead in developing monitoring and evaluation tools and process and coordinate with Monitoring and Evaluation Unit of donors to obtain guidance and updates on policies and guidelines on M&E.
Knowledge Management, Accountability, Research and Learning:
- Ensuring proper dissemination of information and knowledge management among relevant stakeholders through intranet and e-learning opportunities.
- Lead and strengthen MEAL Communities of Practice, discussion fora, learning events for cross team learning and sharing to improve quality of programming in Human and Peoples Rights.
- Ensure learning from reports, researches, studies, assessments, evaluations, program reviews is disseminated and incorporated in management, planning, decision and development of future project.
- Facilitate cross-organizational sharing of good practices between organizations, agencies, institutions local and international engaged in Human and Peoples Rights works and interventions.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of both current, and newly emerging monitoring, evaluation and accountability methods related or specific to Human and Peoples’ Rights;
- Support the development of Human and Peoples & Rights accountability feedback mechanisms and the analysis and documentation of feedback received from country programs for learning purposes.
- Lead organization and delivery of learning and reflection workshops and other programmatic learning processes and products (e.g. learning papers, evaluation summaries, discussions on online Communities of Practice).
- Enable ACHPR to develop its capacity to conduct and deliver high quality researches on Human and Peoples Rights issues.
- Conceptualize and manage research/studies on Human and Peoples’ Rights to support the development of strategic and innovative programs.
- Foster strategic links with academics/academic institutions for the purposes of undertaking research to improve knowledge management in ACHPR.
Program Performance, Results & Quality Assurance:
- Develop and implement an effective M & E mechanism for Results-based Management.
- Establish internal control system and Standard Operating Procedures that will transit ACHPR towards Results-based Management.
- Ensure quality control of results (from formulation, implementation and closure) that deliver results, build capacity of ACHPR to develop evidence-based programs informed by Theory of Change.
- Develop appropriate formats and monitoring tools for collecting data on all ACPR activities and from different sources producing data on Human and Peoples Rights.
- Working in consultation and coordination with relevant ACHPR staff take lead role in developing effective database on ACHPR activities and Human and Peoples Rights Issues.
- Facilitate review of progress on monthly and quarterly basis to ensure annual targets are achieved and participate in development of remedial actions and ensure disparities between planned and actual outputs are addressed.
Program Review, Monitor, Evaluation, Reporting, Communication:
- Design and conduct a system for field visits, and data verification in order to ensure that the quality of information that ACHPR and partners report is accurate, timely and relevant.
- Facilitate regular monitoring visits ACHPR activity area, closely working with regional HR monitoring NGOs and CSOs to conduct qualitative and quantitative assessment of the implementation status.
- Take lead in liaising with development partners in consultation and coordination with ACHPR team in resolving issues related to delivery of sustainable results.
- Take lead role to organize and facilitate ACHPR monthly performance review meetings to review monthly activity implementation and lead evaluation activities of ACHPR.
- Work closely with the media and communication officer/department of ACHPR to disseminate information on activities and results to increase public awareness of the mandate, functions of the ACHPR.
- Establish documentation and reporting culture within ACHPR, collect, compile, analyze data and information produced by ACHPR staff and other partners, consolidate and produce monthly, quarterly and annual reports for ACHPR take lead role in submission of quality, accurate and timely of reports to donors and partners.
Capacity Development of ACHPR:
- Identify M&E capacity gap, challenges and needs of ACHPR and individual staff and develop capacity development plan to enhance their capacity in planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Through training and mentorship build individual and institutional capacity of ACHPR in planning research, monitoring and evaluation for delivery of results, accountability and reporting.
- Provide continuous coaching and technical support to ACHPR staff on program reviews, monitoring, and evaluation to strengthen institutional capacity and M&E system for delivery of sustainable results.
Academic Requirements and Work Experience
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Operations Management, Program Management or Project Management or other related fields of study with eight (8) years experience. Or a Master’s Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Operations Management, Programmer Management or Project Management or other related fields of study with a minimum of five (5) years postgraduate work experience in related field.
- Candidates must have relevant working experience working at a supervisory level in MEL with proven experience in managing, developing and executing MEL strategies and systems, in an international or continental environment.
Other Required Skills
Experience and Knowledge:
- Proven experience setting up M&E system specifically for Development or Human and Peoples Right intervention.
- Proven experience training and building capacity of AU Institutions.
- Excellent experience in designing and implementing innovative MEL system.
- Good experience working with staff from multi-cultural background, partners and stakeholders
- Proficient in latest versions of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven experience in MEL frameworks, policies, procedures, and best practices
- Knowledge and cross-cultural approaches (conflict-sensitive programming, gender-sensitivity)
Functional Skills and competencies
- Exceptional presentation and writing skills.
- Dynamic, creative, organized and detailed-oriented;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to be a team player;
- Exceptional analytical skills.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn;
- Ability to take initiative and deliver under minimum supervision;
- Sensitive to participatory and learning-oriented approaches;
- Establishes a wide network of internal and external contacts that enables the individual to gather information and utilize the strengths and abilities of others in order to enhance organizational and performance.
Forster Accountability Culture:
- Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans for contingencies-creates plans that factor in time for unexpected problems and uncertainties.
- Develops and monitors the implementation of learning and development plans for the team. Establishes mechanisms to facilitate and encourage knowledge sharing in own area.
Communication with Influence:
- Projects authority and credibility and makes impact. Communicates in a clear, to-the-point and convincing manner in order to inform or influence opinions of others. Presents the key points of the argument persuasively.
- Proficiency in English and fluency in any other AU official working language would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a fixed contract for a period of two (2) years and six (6) months (non-renewable).
- The ACHPR is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The net salary for this post shall be $88,832.14 per annum (all-inclusive).
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2021.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a complete application which should include a cover letter, a CV, relevant certificate/diploma, at least 1 reference, and any other material/ information deemed necessary to supporting the application.
Applications may be submitted via email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Planning, Monitoring Evaluation Officer” or in person.
Applications should be addressed to the postal address indicated below:
Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights,
31 Bijilo Annex Layout, Kombo North District, Western Region,
P.O. Box 673, Banjul,
Tel: (+220) 441 05 05, (+220) 441 05 06
Note: Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.