The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Coordinator, Compliance
- To provide technical support in ensuring that the operations of Nigerian Red Cross Society are ethical, in compliance with donors’ regulations, statutory requirements and internal policies and procedures.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop compliance organizational strategies and tools by contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Ensuring that the organization establishes and maintains an effective, best practices compliance and ethics program, to prevent and detect violations of law and other misconduct, and to promote ethical practices and a commitment to compliance with the law as well as with internal and external policies
- Working with senior management to broaden understanding of strategic and operational compliance measures.
Planning and organizing:
- Plans for implementation and maintenance of compliance activities.
- Prepares long-term plans of compliance including implementing strategies and procedures that prevent illegal, unethical or improper conduct
- Maintain, update and (re) draft compliance policies and provide guidance and answer queries thereof
- Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities
- Develop standard compliance checklist
- Conduct surprise visits in Branch/programmes to assess the level of compliance
- Researching and keeping abreast of legislative issues, new compliance regulations/major donors’ regulations.
Reporting / Information management:
- Produce periodic standard and ad hoc reporting
- Prepare management reports regarding compliance operations and progress
- Prepare reports to the Secretary General.
- Maintain necessary records and files to assure efficient and consistent reporting of compliance efforts.
- Maintain documentation of compliance activities.
- Build and agile National Society capable of sensing and responding to challenges.
Internal Controls Evaluation / Reviews:
- Build, operate, train-on and administer the Partner/third party due diligence system.
- Conduct periodic internal reviews to endure that compliance procedures are followed
- Identify compliance issues that require follow-up or investigation
- Monitor compliance systems to ensure their effectiveness
- Develop strong relationships across stakeholder groups and support those groups to manage requests and ensure key deliverables are executed effectively and in an efficient manner.
- Support good corporate governance and risk management including but not limited to Anti-Fraud and Corruption, Code of Conduct and Conflicts of interest
- Engage with internal and external auditors on relevant risk and compliance matters and mitigation plans
- Serve as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seek clarification on issues or dilemmas or report irregularities
- Discuss emerging compliance issues with management or employees
- Respond promptly to detected offenses, and developing corrective action
- Invest and enable passionate and outcome driven Society
- Assess training needs for employees and develop training plan and collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop training content, acting as subject matter expert and facilitate delivery and tracking of training
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant issues, laws and regulations through periodicals, seminars, training programs and peer contact
- Work closely with the Internal Audit function to appropriately advise on identified weaknesses, including relevant follow-ups of remediation items, sharing appropriate “lessons learnt” to the management, reviewing and advising on the needs for revising the relevant policy standards, and effectively implementing the improvements
- Ensure through engagement with the management that there is adequate support in the Society for necessary controls, including people, process, tools, frameworks and systems
- Collaborate with human resources department to ensure the implementation of consistent disciplinary action s in cases of compliance standard violations
- Identifying potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, developing and implementing corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues and providing general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future
- Ensuring that all organizational activities are in line with contractual obligations and agreements with respective donors and maintenance of a compliance dashboard for each major donor
- Developing and maintaining a central electronic repository for Society wide compliance and code of conduct for: compliance policies and procedures, internal controls (Forms papers & electronic) and other information for disclosure of Conflict of Interest and other records related to compliance and code of conduct.
- Maintain records of compliance activities. Provide reports to management.
- Analyze complex issues in donor agreement and provide practical and appropriate advice, including escalating to the appropriate senior levels or forums and recommending methods to proactively manage those risks
- Continually review whether the grant management activities are in compliance with the key controls contained in the grant management guidelines of the Society and donor regulations
- Assess compliance with grant conditions on sample basis working closely with project implementation team
- Provide information on donor regulations on a regular basis to ensure specific guidelines are being followed.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of management and staff, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
Key Performance Areas
- Timeliness and accuracy of payments processing
- Accuracy of ledger reconciliations
- Quality of financial reports
- Number of errors recorded in posting
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree from a reputable institution in Accounting or Finance
- Relevant post-graduate degree
- Professional accounting certification, e.g. ACA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CISA or other relevant certfications
- Minimum of 7 years relevant work experience, with at least 3 years in an compliance-related function at middle management level position
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, and data analysis tools/ software
- Knowledge and ability to manage contextual, programmatic and institutional risk
- Clear understanding of enterprise risk management strategies, techniques and reporting applications
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to synthesize available data and facts into plausible courses of action that will result in the resolution of identified problems.
- Capable of communicating analysis and insights effectively, and articulate when communicating
- Demonstrated success in relationship building internally and externally with a wide array of stakeholders
- Ability to build and protect the reputation of self and society through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Position Applied For / Name of Applicant as the subject of the email.
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.