The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Complaints and Feedbacks Mechanisms Coordinator, Nigeria
Job Identification: 3142
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule:Full time
Job Category: Coordination
Role and Responsibilities
- As a humanitarian organization, NRC must remain accountable to the affected population it serves. In particular, NRC seeks to regularly engage with affected communities and to ensure all feedback and complaints received are addressed, followed up, and utilized to enhance the office’s understanding of the consequences of its programming.
- To increase accountability and impact, NRC Nigeria is strengthening existing mechanisms through establishing a centralized, transparent and widely communicated complaints and feedback mechanism (CFM).
- The purpose of the Complaints and Feedback Mechanism Coordinator (CFMC) is to oversee the operationalization of a centralized CFM mechanism within NRC Nigeria office and to build on it to create a culture of accountability to NRC Nigeria’s targets/beneficiaries.
- He/she will act as a focal point for all CFM related issues within the office, and coordinate with programs and support functions.
- The CFMC will ensure that clear, transparent rules for raising and processing complaints are established, and that complaints are recorded and addressed by relevant parts of NRC Nigeria Country Office within a reasonable timeframe (according to standards).
- The CFMC will ensure quality in responses through capacity building and support of staff involved in responding to complaints and utilize the information received through complaints and feedback channels to produce periodic reports and analysis that can strengthen programming and increase overall organizational accountability to beneficiaries and the wider affected population.
- Implement NRC’s systems and procedures at country level.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements.
- Prepare and submit reports and analysis.
- Ensure proper filing of all relevant documents using existing systems
- Coordinate with relevant partners.
- Design and support dissemination of relevant information to beneficiary (host communities, displaced people, and other relevant targets and partners).
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards& principles within NRC Nigeria and amongst beneficiaries served.
- Coordinate the operationalization of NRC Nigeria CFM system and develop/build upon existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for CFM within the country office
- Serve as primary contact for all CFM related issues within the office and with Head Office
- Communicate and disseminate NRC CFM standards and guidelines within NRC and conduct training, capacity building and mentoring of all staff involved.
- Triage all complaints received by NRC, transfer to relevant parts of NRC Nigeria, and ensure that complaints are responded to in a timely manner by the Country Office
- Coordinate processing and provision of response, specifically in relation to confidential complaints mechanisms i.e. complaints boxes
- Ensure proper response is generated in reasonable time
- With the support of the M&E manager, manage data analysis and information presentation related to CFM
- Produce/oversee production of regular internal (and external) reports on complaint trends, response procedures, and relevant issues
- Work with Human Resources (HR) and protection colleagues to ensure that NRC Nigeria has in place procedures to ensure response to sensitive complaints received (Code of Conduct and Protection from Sexual Exploitation, Sexual Abuse (PSEA))
- Hold trainings and refresher sessions for CFM and program staff to ensure they have the capacity and skills to deal with complaints at the field level
- Support programme staff in identifying and addressing all complaints and feedback related needs and formalising feedback loops within programmes
- Support the development and harmonisation of SoPs at country level
- Provide support to programme managers in reviewing information across projects, to ensure that feedback and complaints are taken into account in programme management decisions
By interfaces, NRC Nigeria means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- M&E Manager
- CFM Working Group (Country Director, Head of Program, Area Managers, Protection Manager, HR Manager)
- Project Coordinators and Project Managers in all Core Competencies
- CFM Focal points in all Core Competencies
- Protection team and programme referral focal points
- HR Coordinators at area office level
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance. Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Candidates should possess a Master’s Degree qualification.
- At least 4 years of experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting, beneficiary reception and/or counselling, CFM, or related field.
- Experience in handling sensitive feedback.
- Ability to present data and convey information clearly and concisely and identifying trends
- Experience in facilitating the capacity building efforts of diverse colleagues, including local partner agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, writing), other local languages (Borno, Adamawa) is an asset
- Computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel), CAPI systems (Kobo, Blaise, CSPro, ODK) is desired
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- Strong analytical and communications skills.
- Ability to receive and handle confidential and sensitive information (highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential).
- Strong management skills (ability to demand results and be empathetic, non-defensive but decisive, firm and resilient).
- Experience and ability to train others and transfer knowledge.
- Knowledge of the context in Borno and Adamawa States.
- Familiarity with NRC’s core competencies is an asset.
These personal qualities influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Working with people
- Communicate with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Patient, flexible and creative
- Initiating action and change
The employee will be accountable for and evaluated on the responsibilities and the competencies, based on NRC’s Performance Management System. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2021 (8:53 AM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online