International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (MM / Awareness Raising)
CFCV No. : CFCV2021/74
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, 45 working days within a duration of 2 Months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- IOM X West Africa 3 is the International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) campaign to encourage safe migration and public action to prevent human trafficking and exploitation. Its main goal is to increase social resilience to exploitation and other risks associated to irregular migration. As part of the regional project, the initiative uses different tools, channels, and activities to disseminate trustworthy information to aspirant migrants.
- In partnership with the German government, IOM X West Africa works closely with key stakeholders and influencers across the region such as media and corporate partners, anti-trafficking and youth organizations, government agencies and young people to drive a worldwide movement. By leveraging the power and popularity of media and technology and using a Communication for Development (C4D) approach, IOM X inspires young people and their communities to act against human trafficking. IOM X West Africa phase 3 targets the Youth, aged 15-35, living in Edo State. The project aims at producing an online campaign that will help in promoting safe migration and local opportunities in Nigeria.
- Migrants as Messengers (MaM) is a peer-to-peer advocacy project where returned migrants also known as MaM volunteers create content to raise awareness on the dangers of their migratory journey as a means of discrediting the tactics of traffickers and smugglers to their peers and communities. It also aims to promote the positive impact returning migrants bring to their home communities and show safe pathways for migration in Edo, Lagos, and Delta states.
- As part of the IOM X West Africa and Migrants as Messengers projects, IOM is looking to hire a consultant to map migration procedures and opportunities for education, employment, and entrepreneurship in the Edo, Lagos, and Delta states.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Project officer, Awareness Raising and the direct supervision of Senior Project Assistant, Awareness Raising, project focal point, the consultant will be expected to;
- Conduct a user testing of the Waka Well website with the primary target audience to understand the target audience’s response to the WAKA Well website to make editorial and technical improvements.
- Conduct a mapping of education, employment (jobs and internships), entrepreneurship and other local opportunities in Edo, Lagos and Delta for the Waka Well website. Findings to be submitted should well captured, accurate and are free of errors ready for upload on the website.
- A detailed close out report and recommendation for the Waka Well website on the feedback from the user testing of the Waka Well website including recommendations.
- Conduct user testing of the Waka Well website and map local opportunities in Edo, Lagos, and Delta state
Performance Indicators of the work assignment:
- A detailed excel sheet containing mapped out information on education, employment, and entrepreneurship opportunities in Edo, Lagos, and Delta state.
- A detailed report on the feedback from the user testing of the Waka Well website.
- Advanced University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in the Social Sciences, Law, Public Administration and Sociology, Humanities, Anthropology, or a similar field from an accredited higher education institution, with four years of experience in data collection and analysis.
- Seven years of experience (Five years for candidates holding a first level university degree) experience in data collection and analysis
- Familiarity with human rights, border management, and trafficking issues in Nigeria will be an advantage.
- Proven training experience for government in an intelligence environment.
- Excellent experience working with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to conceptualize and integrate diverse views from government authorities, stakeholders and the broader community to achieve desired objectives.
- Knowledge of local context in human rights and migration discourse.
- Ability to train, write and produce narrative and financial reports.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills as well as fluent and effective spoken and written English.
- Excellent Microsoft Word skills and ability to take notes/drafts and produce high-quality written reports.
- Motivated, committed, responsible, and able to work independently with limited direct supervision.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
6th October, 2021.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021/74 Edo State. Consultant (MM/Awareness Raising Mapping Exercise)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).