The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Embedded Adviser – Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Specialist
Vacancy No. 095
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project (RPPP)
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020)
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project (RPPP) The second phase of the Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project (RPPP) advising ECOWAS and Member States Institutions on the implementation of core capacities of the International Health
- Regulations has begun.
- In the new project there will be an increased focus on support to One Health actors at all levels of the system, on building exchange formats, communications and coordination
- between them and on building human and technical capacity in this sector.
- Cooperation will be based on enhancement and further development of key products and deliverables of RPPP1, such as the regional risk communications strategy, the Regional Rapid Response Team (RRRT) digital communications platforms
- The project will also support the development of the Regional One Health platform of ECOWAS and of selected Member States. It will also support SORMAS implementation at Member State and Regional level.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The Embedded Technical Adviser – Epidemiology and Digital Surveillance will be located within the Regional Centre for Surveillance and Disease Control (RCSDC), a Directorate of the West Africa Health Organization (WAHO).
- The role will support the overall conceptualization, planning and implementation of activities designed to in building the internal and external capacity of the RCSDC to deliver its mandate to support ECOWAS Member States in epidemiology, disease surveillance and implementation of digital solutions (notably SORMAS), with an emphasis on pandemic prone diseases in a One Health context.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of RCSDC, the Advisor will undertake the following roles and functions:
- Both provide strategic and technical advice to RCSDC and support to activities related to the development of a regional approach to disease epidemiology, surveillance and implementation of IDSR, with a particular focus on the implementation of digital surveillance tools, such as SORMAS.
- Support to activities identified in the RPPP Operational Plan, which refer to digital approaches to epidemiological surveillance/early warning, facilitating their integration in the working plan of the RCSDC and substantially contributing to their implementation and to the achievement of their intended results.
- Support the fostering of dynamic partnerships with key stakeholders at the regional and national levels, including other WAHO Directorates, other parts of the ECOWAS Commission, Member States’ National Coordinating Institutions civil society, media, and other development partners.
- Provide context analysis and technical briefs and research, develop, and deliver presentations, prepare various forms of documentation (e.g., background papers, knowledge products and others) as may be required.
- Ensure visibility of GIZ’s support for the development of RSCDC and the network of NCIs and contribute to GIZ knowledge management processes.
- Support operational planning and provide administrative and logistical support for the delivery of GIZ RPP support to RCSDC.
- Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Public Health with a strong background in epidemiology and disease control Professional experience
- 10 years of effective professional experience in management and implementation of complex public health programs involving management of epidemics and health emergencies in West Africa.
- 10 years’ experience in implementation of surveillance and disease control strategies at regional or national level, with particular emphasis on implementation of disease control strategies (IDSR) and implementation of digital approaches to disease surveillance.
- 10 years’ experience of collaboration with partners, interpersonal relations, and advocacy with an established network of officials at national, regional and international level.
- Strong ability for strategic analysis, summary and report writing, and good presentation skills.
- Communication and negotiation coupled with excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills and an ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and highly political context.
- Strong organisational and project management skills and a good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring, and reporting.
Contract Duration and Duty Station:
- Contract duration: The EA will be employed for a period not exceeding the duration of the programme: the maximal duration of the contract will be until June 2024.
- Duty station: Abuja, with duty travels throughout the region.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using Vacancy No. “095” as the subject of the email.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted