The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Associate to Deputy Head of Office
Job Identification: 3013
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type; Fixed Term
Practice Area: Management
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Head of Office, the Executive Associate is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of secretary duties by performing, under minimal supervision, the full range of office management and administrative support functions; typically provides direct assistance to senior officers or managers such as a Head of Office consistent with UN rules and regulations
- The Executive Associate leads and provides guidance to OCHA’s Deputy Head of Office, fostering effective collaboration within the teams, including contributing to drafting of documents, letters, facilitation of inputs, interagency exercises with relevant OCHA and UNDP counterparts at Headquarters and in the field, and with other UN agencies, promoting a client-oriented approach and ensuring optimal performance and efficient delivery of services, and any other tasks and duties that may arise.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the DHoO’s office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the DHoO’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for DHoO’s appointments, meetings, missions, including contribution to report-writing.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of DHoO’s missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of the DHoO for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the DHoO’s office.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Support the DHoO and the Admin Unit on matters related to operational needs of the office.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Support the DHoO in the facilitation of information sharing with OCHA Heads of Units as required
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Head of Office.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent would be desirable.
- Minimum 6 years (with secondary education) or 3 years (Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in the humanitarian context in NE Nigeria is desirable.
- Building Strategic Partnerships – Level 1.1: Maintaining information and database:
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing – Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing thing
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise – Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development – Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change:
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems – Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management system:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Client Orientation – Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationship:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadline
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management – Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information:
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of any of the local languages in Northeast Nigeria such as Hausa and Kanuri desirable
Application Closing Date
14th April, 2022 at 04:59
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online