Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Call For Interest: Facilitator For Basic Life Support Training
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Part-time
- In Nigeria, Medecins du Monde provides emergency medical assistance to host and displaced populations within the Northeast region of the country. This intervention is delivered through the following sectors:
- Improved access of host and displaced populations to free and comprehensive primary health care;
- Universal access to SRH services, strengthening the continuum of care in SRH, and establishing good quality community care structures throughout the lives of the service users;
- Improved access of the malnourished children, aged 6-59 months, to quality nutrition treatment including the management of Severe Acute Malnutrition.
- A component of MdM’s integrated primary health care services is staff capacity building and institutional strengthening. This is delivered through on job trainings and specific formal trainings according to particular needs.
- As part of this intervention, MdM will train the medical team on ‘’Basic Life Support’’ to scale up the quality of the emergency care provided at field level.
- Injuries and life-threatening incidents in the clinics (or at home) are always unexpected. The failure to take prompt action may escalate an emergency situation and lead to the mortality and morbidity of the victim. However, early intervention may be effective in preventing further deterioration of the patient’s condition, and may even reverse the life-threatening condition.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) is an emergency procedure required for victims of cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest and foreign-body airway obstruction.
- Prompt administration of BLS increases the patient’s chances of recovery and it is believed that out-of-hospital mortality could be significantly reduced if at least 15% of the population had knowledge of BLS.
Purpose and Objectives
- The main objective of this service is to provide high-quality training on Basic Life Support to equip the participants with basic knowledge, skills and attitude to perform with confidence basic life support techniques to save lives.
By the end of the training, participants should be better equipped to:
- Describe the principles of Emergency Care and critical concepts of CPR.
- Identify the types of life support and links of survival for adult and paediatric patients; and discuss the human anatomy and physiology of the nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems.
- Demonstrate how to provide rescue breathing alone for an adult, child & infant who show signs of circulation but have inadequate or not breathing.
- Discuss the indications, proper use and maintenance of automated external defibrillator (AED).
- Perform 2-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant.
- Demonstrate how to provide abdominal thrust to a conscious adult; chest thrust and backslaps to a conscious infant; and chest thrust to an unconscious adult, a child and an infant with obstructed airway.
- Appreciate and integrate key skills such as critical thinking, problems solving, communication and team work to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- A registered company / organisation recognized by American Heart Association
- Supported / certified by Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN)
- Previous experience in facilitating BLS/ACLS/PALS trainings
- Facilitator must have a relevant University Degree.
Application Closing Date
24th October, 2021 at 4:00pm. (Nigerian time)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a comprehensive / detailed Profile, indicating their competencies and experiences on similar projects to: email@example.com with the reference “Basic Life Support Training” as the subject line.
Note: You are not expected to submit your proposals. However, the successful candidates would be sent ‘Terms of Reference’ requesting for proposals.