The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Grants and Finance Manager
Job Requisition Id: R2336
Job Type: Full time
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information.
- Working from more than 45 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia, and Medford, Massachusetts, US headquarters, our staff from 73 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
- We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. MSH seeks a Grants and Finance Manager for an upcoming project.
- This position is contingent upon project award and funding.
- The Grants and Finance Manager has overall responsibility and accountability for the administrative and financial grants management component of the Project. S/he uses templates provided by the MSH contracts office to develop solicitations and agreements, as well as detailed procedures for the entire grants management cycle, and works closely with grantees to develop their capacity to effectively manage grants
- This may include supporting organizational capacity assessments, developing financial and audit systems, building capacity for accounting, financial management, and financial reporting, and/or assisting grantees with cost proposal development and operational procedures
- The Senior Grants Management Officer works with the project deputy leader and the MSH contracts office in ensuring that grants management procedures are designed to ensure that local partners, as sub-awardees on this project, are able to manage their grants efficiently and transparently in compliance with MSH requirements, and in support of their technical scopes of work.
- Develop and/or adapt relevant grant forms, manuals, templates, materials, procedures, guidelines and resources for the Project.
- Use and adapt forms, manuals, templates, materials, procedures, guidelines and resources in formulating, negotiation, executing, monitoring, and closing grants according to financial regulations and in support of results-based financing approaches used by the project.
- Guide grants management procedures to ensure they are designed so that grantees are able to manage their grants efficiently and transparently in compliance with financial regulations. Assist technical staff in refining objectives, deliverables and scopes of work for grantees.
- Organize, manage and document the process by which grantees are selected for awards, and notify applicants and other stakeholders of awards granted.
- Participate in selection committee and conduct pre-award assessment to determine financial viability and level of risk.
- Administer the grants according to criteria and financial guidelines set forth by Project donor.
- Together with the team, design and maintain a grant tracking system as part of the overall project information management system, to keep project technical staff, senior management and grantees regularly updated on the financial status of each grant.
- Oversee individual budget expenditures, assuring that each grantee remains within allowable and contracted levels, or requests authorization to exceed them.
- Provide training and support to grantees, as needed, with the development of work plans, monitoring progress, tracking expenses, preparing reports, and facilitating grantees’ financial compliance with the terms of their agreements.
- Ensure that grantees comply with all donor reporting requirements.
- Immediately alert deputy Project Director and MSH Finance & Administration Director of any suspicion or evidence of fraud, misappropriation, or mismanagement of funds by grantees.
- Prepare and submit periodic grants status report with recommendations for performance improvement/learning opportunities to project team for consideration.
- Work closely with staff to disburse funds based on adequate technical reporting.
- Collaborate with the team to prepare grant reports and projections as required for monthly submission, and request funds to ensure the availability of funds for grantee project activity/implementation.
- Assist with preparing and conducting workshops and individual assistance to grantees, as required.
- Ensure proper files and records are maintained for the grants management component of the project.
- Prepare reports for grants-related activities, as necessary, and any other information required by the Project Director or Finance & Administration Director.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Health, Management, or equivalent Degree with relevant experience.
- At least 7+ years of experience overseeing and managing large and complex sub-award projects across multiple countries.
- Substantial experience working with multi-lateral donor projects and knowledge of financial regulations and procedures strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in English (both oral and written) is required. Proficiency in French is highly desirable.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online