|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Blue Economy Division
Requisition ID: 712
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
Directorate: Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
Division: Blue Economy
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of the Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Blue Economy Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Leads the technical development of continental policies and programmes in blue economy;
- Initiates and develops policies, strategies and programmers that contribute to the goals of the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment consistent with AUC vision and mandates;
- Provides support for the implementation of policies, strategies and programs in terms of advocacy, coordination and guidance that contribute to effective implementation of relevant AU decision on matters related Blue Economy;
- Provides overall guidance and management for the human, financial and material resources of the Blue Economy Division;
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships to harness technical and financial resources necessary for effective implementation of policies, strategies and programs on Blue Economy;
- Creates and strengthens various forums for stakeholders’ consultations, exchange of experiences, lessons, and capacity building; and represent the AUC in such forums.
- Prepares periodic reports on implementation of programs of the Division;
- Represents the Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in AU missions as well as in taskforces/committees and meetings on matters of Blue Economy;
- Provides support to the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in preparing statements, proposals, reports and other relevant tasks;
- Leads the development and implementation of Strategic initiatives and programs to contribute towards the achievement of AU/ARBE mandates, roles and strategies;
- Oversees the development of mechanisms to enhance capacity for evidence-based planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Oversees strengthening capacity in terms of skills development, and streamlined/enhanced organizations, networks, and s stems;
- Oversees and strengthens partnerships with relevant development institutions and stakeholders
- Leads strategy for advocacy, and broadening support for initiatives, and resources mobilization for implementation of the programs
- Ensures effective and efficient management of human, financial and material resources at the disposal of the division;
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Sustainable Development, Biology, Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, Fisheries Management or related fields with 12 years of relevant work experience with 7 years of at managerial level and 5 years at supervisory level.
- Experience working in a national or an international organization dealing with relevant sub-sectors under blue economy issues.
- Leadership and management skills
- Interpersonal and Negotiation skills
- Analytical and research skills
- Knowledge in international risk management strategies
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge and understanding of the policies, strategies and programmes of AU
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages is a must. Knowledge of one or all of the other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.