Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) – We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Environmental Matters Department
Job Code: 6.1.01
- The Environmental Matters Department monitors, analyzes, reports and advises on developments pertaining to the international debate on energy policies, climate change and sustainable development and contributes to the close coordination of Member Country positions on these matters.
- This entails: monitoring and analyzing international debates and developments on energy policies, environmental matters, climate change, and sustainable development; gathering and analysing data and information in these fields; contributing to coordination among Member Countries and participating in relevant multilateral fora and discussions; and building up OPEC’s networks with national, regional and multilateral organizations.
- It elaborates OPEC Long Term Strategy and monitors, analyzes and reports on relevant international, national and regional policies on environmental matters, and assessing their impacts on energy markets.
Objective of Position
- To plan, organize, coordinate, manage and evaluate the work of the Environmental Matters Department in accordance with the work programmes and budget of the Department so as to optimize its support to the Secretariat in achieving its overall objectives.
- The work covers studies and analyses of international debates and developments in environmental matters, climate change, sustainable development, and energy policies, including the collection of relevant data and information as well as the coordination with Member Countries.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work in the Environmental Matters Department covering:
- Studies and analyses of developments in the international debate on environmental issues related to the energy industry and in particular the activities related to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its subsidiary bodies, the Kyoto Protocol, and the Paris Agreement
- Preparations for and attendance to UNFCCC and sustainable development meetings and reporting on these
- Assessment of the impact of changes in environmental policies in consuming countries on the medium- and long-term development of the world petroleum industry
- Studies relevant to the subject of environment as it affects the energy sector in general and oil in particular and contributes to the World Oil Outlook
- Coordination of Member Countries’ positions concerning environmental issues, climate change and sustainable development
- Contribution to speeches, articles and presentations to internal meetings and various international forums
- Ensures adequate development adequate simulation and modeling capabilities of the Department.
- Ensures full responses to requests by the Conference, BOG, ECB and standing committees for studies and special reports relevant to the work program of the Department.
- Arranges presentations at relevant OPEC meetings and international forums representing the Secretariat as required.
- Develops and maintains networks with external experts and institutions in fields relating to the work of the Department.
- Keeps the Director, Research Division fully informed on all aspects of the work of the Department, and draws his attention to important analyses performed by it.
- Evaluates the performance of the staff of the Department, and recommends to the Director, Research Division of staff development, salary increase, promotion and separations as appropriate.
- Ensures that the staff of the Department receive the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and continuously improve their performance.
- Prepares the annual budget for the Department.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned by the Director, Research Division.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in Environmental Science or Economics, Engineering or other Sciences, preferably with specialization in Environment
- PhD preferred
- Advanced university degree: 12 years in the oil industry with a minimum of 4 years in a managerial position, preferably at large national, regional, or international institutions (PhD: 10 years)
- Environmental policies
- Analysis of environmental issues related to energy
- International debate on environment
- Modeling techniques
- Professional Management & Leadership
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Strategic orientation
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Negotiation skills
- Initiative and integrity
- Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade B reporting to the Director, Research Division. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Application Closing Date
23rd January, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to fill in an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor (PDF) (See Nigeria address below) for OPEC or Click Here (Ms Word) to download Application Form. In order for applications to be considered, the application form and resume must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than the closing date stated above.
NIGERIA COUNTRY GOVERNOR
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Dr. Adedapo Odulaja,
Governor for OPEC,
Office of the Minister of Petroleum Resources,
Block D, 11th Floor, NNPC Towers, Herbert Macauley Way,
Central Business District,
Click Here to Download Application Form (Ms Word)