Primera Microfinance Bank Limited, your partner for growth, is a fully licensed technology-driven finance platform that offers financial solutions to businesses and individuals. Anchored by a strong balance sheet and an experienced, hands-on management team, we enhance financial inclusion by offering suite of financial services to meet the needs of clients.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Legal
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Department: Legal and Compliance
- The Head, Legal is responsible for overseeing all legal related areas of the operations of Primera MFBank, with a focus on banking and financial regulatory matters, legal, development of policies, employment and labour, litigation and contracts.
- The Head, Legalis responsible for identifying legal risks associated with the operations of Primera MFBank and proposing mechanisms for mitigating such risks.
- The Head, Legalmust ensure that a culture of integrity and transparency is developed and maintained in the organization, overseeing the implementation of and compliance with policies and laws, including Primera MFBank’s Code of Conduct.
- Monitoring and/or advising on all legal matters, commercial contracts, and agreements.
- Advises Management and the Board of Directors on the scope of their authority, appropriate decision-making, and legal aspects of their decisions.
- Attends all meetings of the Board of Directors and relevant Board Committees.
- Ensures that the meetings of the Board of Directors and relevant Board Committees are properly scheduled, to ensure compliance with applicable requirements and to ensure that all decisions are adopted in a timely manner.
- Ensures that appointments and removal of Directors are documented and approvals from authorities are obtained in a timely fashion, as required, issuing formal letters of appointment and removal to the Directors.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws, statutory and corporate governance practices and guidelines as observed in the Banking and Finance sector/industry.
- Promptly reports and advises on conflicts of interest in accordance with Primera MFBank policies and code of conduct.
- Advises Directors and Board officers on their responsibilities, including their fiduciary obligations.
- Periodically assesses governance practices and Directors’ performance and recommending ways to improve.
- Maintains all corporate records and documenting all corporate decisions.
- Assists with preparation of the agenda for the Board and relevant Board Committee meetings.
- Sends meeting notices to all members of the Board and all relevant Committee members, as applicable.
- Provides guidance to the Management and Board in the preparation of materials for each meeting.
- Provides legal advice to the Chair of the Board in the exercise of the Chair’s duties.
- Records attendance at all Board and Committee meetings.
- Ensures that quorum requirements are met and that decisions are adopted in accordance with applicable law and Primera MFBank’s constituent documents.
- Determines the obligations of the Bank based on applicable banking and microfinance legislation and adjusts policies and processes as necessary to reflect such obligations.
- Stays abreast of changes in applicable banking and microfinance laws and regulation and timely communicating such changes and updates to Management and relevant staff.
- Reviews internal documents and policies to ensure they are drafted in accordance with applicable law.
- Reviews and prepares, as necessary, contracts and documentation used by the Bank in the business of providing financial services to its clients.
- Assists in the preparation and drafting of reports and communications to the regulator.
- As a member of the Management of the Bank, offers guidance to the various departments and divisions of the Bank and making decisions with the Management to manage Primera MFBank’s day-to-day operations.
- Implements the instructions of the Board of Directors of the Bank concerning the legal aspects of the operations.
- Provides support, especially to the Human Capital function, to ensure compliance with labour and employment obligations as an employer, including registering with local authorities and entering into employment contracts drafted in accordance with local laws that protect the interests of the Bank.
- Reviews and drafts documentation related to the implementation of potential projects, including grant agreements and partnerships with third parties.
- Stays abreast of the laws and regulations applicable to the Bank.
- Assists in the process of legalization and authentication of documents prepared or to be used by the Bank
- Provides training to staff on various areas relevant for the Bank’s operations.
- Reviews and negotiates loan agreements and other arrangements for the financing of the operations of the Bank.
- Provides legal opinions based on local law regarding various aspects of the operations of the Bank.
- Identifies legal risks associated with the operations of the Bank and proposing mechanisms for mitigating them.
- Reviews and drafts documentation and contracts related to the day-to-day activities of the Bank, especially loans to the clients but also including other documents such as leases, sales and services agreements, ensuring that the documentation protects the Bank’s interests and complies with applicable law.
- Develops strategic vision and plan for the legal function, including its staffing so that the function appropriately aligns with, and supports the operations of the Subsidiary.
Representation of the Bank before courts and administrative agencies:
- Coordinates and oversees the representation of the Bank before local authorities and courts, as required.
- Maintains resources and oversees litigation matters and fraud prosecution, in line with Primera MFBank’s practices and policies.
- Coordinates and oversees the pursuit of claims by the Bank as applicable and ensures that the Bank is adequately represented and defended against claims by third parties.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law is required. Master’s Degree (LL.M) is preferable;
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association is essential
- Membership of ICSAN and other related professional certification.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience
- Experience in banking/finance is required
- Experience in corporate law is required
- Experience in litigation and labor law matters.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Exceptional negotiation, influencing skills
- Excellent Analytical, Reporting and Problem-Solving skills
- Strong command of Microsoft suite
- Excellent entrepreneurial, leadership
- Self-confidence, decisiveness
- Decision-making skills
- Problem solving
- Organize information
- Strong knowledge of banking operations and regulations
- Change Management
- Team player
- Honest, proactive and hardworking
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online