|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head of Division, Science, Technology and Space
Requisition ID: 702
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Director, Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Directorate / Department : Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Division: Science Technology and Space
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Science, Technology and Space Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Formulates appropriate policies, strategies and action plans for development programmes, and project proposals at continental level in line with the ten phases of the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy (STISA) and other related strategies to contribute to the African Union Agenda 2063.
- Promotes intra-African and international cooperation in the area of STI and development for mutual benefit, networks, knowledge sharing and ensuring a strong African position.
- Liaises with other African Union Commission Units and Directorates for programmatic synergies and quality assurance in science, technology and innovation, to maximise impact and elimination of duplications;
- Provides policy support to strengthen alignment of regional STI protocols in close collaboration with the RECs in order to effectively support Member States;
- Mobilises financial and technical resources with accountable management to support science, technology and innovation programmes.
- Ensures overall management of Science and Technology Division personnel;
- Advises the Directorate on matters of science and technology, and space policy;
- Coordinates the work of African Union Technical Agencies (AUTAs) in the area of Science and Technology, ensuring internal coherence and adherence to continental policies;
- Develops institutional linkages and policy mechanisms to promote regional collaboration and integration in the areas of Science, Technology research and capacity building;
- Provides technical advice to Member States on realization of their continental and global commitments in Science and Technology and regular reporting;
- Provides strategic and technical support to the Directorate so that it delivers in accordance with its plans;
- Promotes science, technology and innovation diplomacy;
- Facilitates recruitment of officers, consultants, and procurement of services; and manages staff of the Division.
- Promotes the development and retention of high caliber scientific personnel in science especially women, and young professionals.
- Promotes scientific research networks and expert mobility in Africa and the diaspora.
- Networks with regional and international organizations in the area of Science and Technology and development for mutual benefit, ensuring a strong African position.
- Ensures the production and submission of periodic reports on the activities of the Division.
- Ensures production of working documents and draft decision in Science and Technology for the STC-EST and the AU relevant Policy Organs.
- Represents the department or the Commission in conferences, bi-lateral and multi-lateral engagements as instructed.
- Oversees the development and implementation of mechanisms to enhance the relevance and responsiveness of Science and Technology.
- Provides capacity building and mentorship for Science and Technology staff, especially youth.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Commission.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Science, Technology, Innovation or other closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of postgraduate work experience of which a minimum of seven (7) years must have been served at a managerial level, and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Proven experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating Research and Development programmes; and Training in Project Management will be an added advantage.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international educational reforms and strategies
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning, Budgeting and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Change Management:
- Developing Others:
- Managing Risk:
- Strategic Perspective.
- Building relationships:
- Communicating with impact:
- Foster Accountability Culture:
- Learning Orientation.
- Conceptual thinking:
- Drive for result:
- Job Knowledge and information sharing:
- Fosters Innovation.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.