|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Division, Transport and Mobility
Requisition ID: 703
Location: Addis, Ababa – Ethiopia
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Division: Transport and Mobility
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Number of Indirect Reports: 13
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate: Infrastructure and Energy
Reports to: Director, Infrastructure and Energy
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Transport and Mobility Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Supervises and guides the work of professional staff (Senior Policy Officers / Policy officers, short-term experts and consultants) working on transport and tourism matter;
- Coordinates the formulation and implementation of policies covering all aspects of intra-African and international cooperation in the transport and tourism sectors within the context of decisions of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government and the Executive Council;
- Initiates and coordinates the work of the specialized technical committees and sub-committees on transport and tourism sectors;
- Undertake and monitor, supervise and evaluate projects in the transport and Mobility sectors;
- Establishes working relations with the RECs and other regional and international organizations in the transport and tourism industries;
- Coordinate the organization and servicing of workshops, seminars and meetings of Member States on sectorial matters;
- Designs and plans policy program on Transport Subsectors and mobility to achieve the continental strategy:
- Coordinates air transport, maritime transport, road and railway planning policy program and strategies at the regional and continental level;
- Coordinates strategic urban mobility planning in the regional and continental transport connectivity;
- Coordinates the monitoring and preparation of periodic reports on developments in the transport and Mobility and connectivity;
- Coordinates and facilitates studies and research papers and policy document on the improvement of transport and infrastructure and sustainable development on air transport, road, railway and maritime;
- Coordinates the formulation and implementation of policies covering all aspects of intra-African and international cooperation in the transport subsectors and mobility sectors within the context of decisions of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government and the Executive Council;
- Initiates and coordinates the work of the specialized technical committees and sub-committees on transport and mobility sectors; organization and servicing of workshops, seminars and meetings of Member States on sectorial matters;
- Monitors and evaluates strategic master plans, Charters in terms of transport, air, railway, maritime and road and mobility, in order to determine and prioritize development projects, in particular within the framework of the agenda 2063.
- Supervises and guides the work of professional staff (Senior Policy Officers/Policy officers, short-term experts and consultants) working on transport and mobility matters;
- Coordinates the organisation of seminars, programs, training in transport and mobility policy, in order to ensure a sustainable transport, infrastructure and services at regional and continental level taking into account rural areas;
- Coordinates the preparation and management of the programme budget for the transport and mobility sectors;
- Develops a continental database on air transport, road, maritime transport and railway
- Works closely with key partners, Institutions and donors such as: UE, UNECA, GIZ, SSATP, World bank, AfDB,
- Coordinates the implementation of key performance indicators to ensure the implementation of transport and mobility policies
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Economics, Engineering in the fields of transport with twelve (12) years relevant work experience of which seven (7) years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
Leadership and Management Skills:
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international educational reforms and strategies
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning, Budgeting and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages; fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online