Over 300 million consumers are over-indebted in emerging markets – we are helping them to B(e)FREE of debt, because it sucks to be in debt.
BFREE was founded in 2020 by digital lending executives that were deeply unsatisfied with existing credit collection infrastructure in emerging markets. Backed by leading African Venture Capital funds we are now reinventing credit collection step by step to make the process more efficient, scalable, and user friendly while giving customers back control over their financial health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Finance (Global Role)
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Full-Time
Possible full: Remote
- We are looking for an experienced Head of Finance to work hand-in-hand with the CEO to make sure we use our capital efficiently and if necessary, get more capital on board.
- Also, all compliance and accounting supervision are assigned to the role, from taxes and statutory payments to payroll supervision, receivable managements, etc.
- The perfect candidate is a numbers juggler that has experience in investment banking/ Big-4 audit or financial advisory and/or a high-level financial role in a fast paced start-up environment (your sister’s hair boutique does not count unless it was venture capital backed).
- You fluently speak IFRS, are an Excel-Guru and preferably also proficient in SQL.
- Strong plus, if you have experience in supporting fundraising processes from venture capital funds and can build sophisticated financial models, manage VDRs and DDs. (If you don’t know what’s a VDR and a DD, this is probably not the right role for you).
- This role is a combination of flying high in fundraising and strategy and flying low in accounting, audit, basic risk management, and compliance, so you have to be willing “to get your hands dirty” at all times.
- The recruitment is open globally with preferred treatment to candidates from Nigeria or Kenya. You are based somewhere else, but love the role – please apply!
- Create and manage budgets for BFREE group (Nigeria and Kenya currently)
- Control, navigate and steer cash burn (No BS, you have to be really good at this!)
- Support fundraising activities through creation of business plans, support of the whole fundraising process (Support of DDs, Management of VDRs, etc.)
- Manage and Supervise accounting, auditing and tax compliance (You’d be the first finance person that we hire, so “supervise” is a euphemism for “you have to do it yourself” with our external accounting/audit partners)
- Ensure Controlling throughout the group and make sure that what we do makes financial sense (So far it looks like it does make sense 🙂
- 4-10 years of experience in investment banking (preferably M&A), Big-4 auditing and/or in a leading financial role in a high-paced startup
- Degree in Finance (CPA or similar preferred)
- Strong knowledge of IFRS
- Extraordinary good skills in Excel: SQL a big plus
- Willingness to occasionally answer the phone at 1am when our CEO has a panic attack that we might run out of cash (Once every two/three months)
What We Offer
Working for a fast-growing tech-enabled ethical credit is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging and expectations are high, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer for this position:
- Competitive Salary
- Attractive Equity Stock Option package
- Flexible remote work schedule
- 25 days Annual Leave (if you don’t build a strong team and processes, your phone will still ring…)
- Opportunities to learn and grow with assigned personal development budgets
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference
- Ability to work with some of the best minds in the start-up industry through daily interactions
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no BS, no suits, and no jerks
- Everything else that you negotiate…
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Short phone interview (15 minutes max)
- Extended interview (remote or in-person)
- Take-home case study
- Case study review interview
- Final interview with founders