|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Humanitarian Affairs Division
Requisition ID: 707
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Director, Health and Humanitarian Affairs
Directorate / Department: Health and Humanitarian Affairs
Division: Humanitarian Affairs
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 4
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Directs and manages the daily operations of the Humanitarian Affairs Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Designs and implements policies, programs and projects to achieve the directorate’s strategic objectives.
- Manages and supervises employees within the division, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the division’s annual targets in line with the directorate’s overall goals and ensures robust and timely monitoring and reporting;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Units within the Division
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms(RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies.
- Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Division;
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the Division’s mandate.
- Represents the organisation and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Manages risk within the division and recommends mitigation strategies
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at division level
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Provides authoritative technical and policy advice to senior management, Member States, AU Decision making Bodies, PRC, AU Organs, RECs and Regional as well as Partners on programmes, projects and issues of significant impact on humanitarian, emergency relief and disaster response/management;
- Manages coordination, information management and collaboration with other departments, AU Decision making bodies, AU Organs, RECs, the African Humanigtarian Agency, Partners and other relevant entities at national, regional, continental and global levels;
- Initiates the preparation and formulation of appropriate programs, policies and strategies related to Humanitarian Affairs at the continental level and in monitoring their implementation within Member States;
- Monitors operational activities and programme implementation in terms of expenditure and substance and prepare progress reports with recommendations for corrective action to the Director when necessary and ensure delivery of activities;
- Analyses and monitors all aspects of Humanitarian Affairs and provide expertise, policy advice and technical leadership within the HHS and AUC at large;
- Advocates for and sensitizes Member States and other stakeholders on commitments of Heads of State and Government to Humanitarian issues;
- Monitors the performance of free movement in Africa; ensure the harmonization and evolution of the AU, RECs and Member States policies and coordinate policies and activities at national, regional and continental levels;
- Prepares and manages Ministerial Conferences and other meetings and activities including the preparation of documents and reports;
- Study and analyze problem situations and major trends and plan and harmonize related programmes and issues in Members States as well as global commitments in relation to humanitarian programme issues;
- Ensures the cooperation and collaboration with relevant departments of the Commission, Member States, UN Agencies, AU partners, specialized institutions and Non-Governmental organizations (NGO’s) and other relevant organizations;
- Promotes African and International regional cooperation in collaboration with Member States, RECs and inter-governmental organizations, NGOs particularly in implementing decisions and AU Plan of Actions;
- Produces and submits periodic reports on activities including specific missions and progress reports on the implementation of various policy instruments and decisions on Humanitarian issues.
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Hummanitarian Affairs, Development Studies, Conflict Management, Political Science, Public Administration, Social Science, International Relations or other related studies with twelve (12) years working experience, out of which seven (7) years should at managerial level and cinq (5) years at supervisory level.
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge in international policies and strategies
- Knowledge in international budgeting and organisation
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, systems and standards
- Planning and Organization skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages ; fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure Of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online