Deloitte Nigeria – Our client in the financial services is recruiting suitable candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Risk Management
Employment Type: Full Time
- Our client in the financial services is seeking to recruit for the Role of Head, Risk Management. The role is an executive position with significant responsibility, opportunities, and interesting challenges.
- In this role, you will be reporting to the CEO, with whom you will work closely to strategically develop, refine, and monitor the client’s risk management strategy and framework (as approved by the Board).
- The Head, Risk Management will run the risk management function from a strategic, managerial, and operational basis, as well as building a team in line with the company’s growth.
- He/she shall be responsible for assessing, rating, recommending, monitoring, and reporting on the operational, financial, strategic and compliance risks that the client faces in delivery of its mandate.
- The Head, Risk Management Officer will also be responsible for the assessment and monitoring of the credit risk of the client’s counterparties, including partner financial institutions, issuers of investment instruments etc.
Implementation of CGF’s operations:
- Run the risk management function in a hands-on fashion initially, before building a team in line with the CGF’s growth;
- Develop the framework, policy, and operating guidelines for the CGF’s risk management function;
- Planning, designing, and implementing an overall risk management process for the CGF and developing risk management systems, including operating and financial models;
- Create and improve tools for identifying, measuring, monitoring, controlling, and reporting risks for the CGF;
- Heading the Risk Committee;
- In the setting-up risk management environment, the CRO will play an important role in development of the CGF’s strategy through identification of the loss/risk drivers inherent in each strategy; and,
- Establish and help manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders and customers of the CGF
- Continuously developing, enhancing, and embedding the risk framework for managing risks across the institution, ensuring that processes are fit for purpose;
- Working closely with the CEO, CFO, relevant board members and committees, senior managers across the CGF in molding a well-controlled, high achieving organization which can fulfil its mandate safely.
- Perform research to identify the risks facing the CGF, their severity and determine the probability of occurrence.
- Develop strategies to measure identified risks appropriately, and articulate a coherent risk appetite for the CGF.
- Design operational policies and procedures to mitigate the risks.
- Implement and assign responsibilities for risk management.
- Risk monitoring and risk reporting to different stakeholders.
- Establishing and maintaining risk governance systems and structures at management level, in accordance with the overall risk management framework approved by the Board;
- Lead the CGF’s efforts in pursuing risk re-guarantees and co-guarantees, where such are considered;
- Embedding a positive culture of confident and informed risk-taking through training, communication, and promotion of the agreed risk framework;
- As a member of senior management and the executive committee, provide essential input on the CGF’s enterprise risk management to the board risk committee, the CEO and senior management of the CGF;
- Liaising with internal and external auditors in assessing and providing independent assurance of the adequacy, appropriateness, and effectiveness of the CGF’s overall risk management framework, policy, and implementation plan;
- Partnering effectively with third parties, regulatory bodies, and others, as appropriate, and serving as a role model for high personal and corporate ethical values and standards of integrity.
- Regularly participate in management meetings and carry out any other duties as may be required.
- Budgeting responsibilities – discretionary control over risk department budgets up to a level approved by the CEO.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration.
- Professional accounting qualifications such as CPA or ACCA.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration and/or Finance/Accounting will be an added advantage.
- Significant experience in financial services particularly in the areas of best practice risk management and governance frameworks, methodologies, and emerging practice (at least 10 years, of which 6 should be in a senior managerial role).
- A background in banking, insurance or trade finance is essential;
- Experience with credit risk guarantees/insurance and exposure to development issues is desirable.
- Ability to exercise oversight over oversight over governance, risk, compliance, and control arrangements in a complex financial operation;
- Proven ability to oversee several risk types, ideally including credit risk, operational risk, market risk, liquidity risk, reputational risk, legal risk, compliance risk, AML risks, information security risk, concentration risk, investment risk, and strategic risk.
- Knowledge and understanding of risk control arrangements.
- Knowledge in regulatory environment and key regulatory regimes in Nigeria;
- Experience in a fast growing, challenging business environment;
- Strong mentoring and coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of experience.
Desired Skills & Competencies:
- A self-starter with strong internal motivation, able to set-up systems and procedures in a ‘start up’ environment, and with a passion for helping MSMEs succeed.
- Commercially astute: A high degree of business acumen, entrepreneurial spirit and wants to grow with the company.
- Skilled communicator with the ability to influence and motivate others;
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills, with the ability to analyze complex information to identify the key issue/action and drive resolution;
- Leadership skills, including the ability to manage risk, compliance, and control activities in a complex financial operation.
- Excellent IT and analytical skills.
- A track record of delivering high performance and overcoming challenges;
- A dedicated team player with a pragmatic approach.
- Robust, organized, proactive and a flexible person with hands on mentality;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English, both written and orally, including the ability to convey ideas and positions clearly and concisely;
- An open-minded, personable individual with outstanding organizational skills;
- Personal commitment to organization excellence; displays honesty, integrity, and a strong sense of ethics in all decisions and actions.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online