|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Internal Audit and Control Officer (BHA Programme)
Ref No: 220003NN
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: One(1) year renewable
Team / Programme: Internal Control and Compliance
Reports to: Internal Audit and Control Specialist
Staff reporting to this post: None.
Matrix Report: Head of Internal Control & Compliance
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and access to personal data of children /or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because s/he will work in the Borno Area Office programs; or is visiting country programs; or because s/he is responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process/staff.
- The Internal Audit and Control Officer will support the SCIN Internal Audit and Control Specialist to ensure compliance with all Save the Children policies & procedures, donor rules & regulations and local laws.
- This will be done by supporting in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the governance, risk management and control processes in place in SCI Nigeria.
- S/he will support to review, document and assess the effectiveness of financial and operational controls over the SCI Nigeria program administrative and project activities in the field offices in the north-east.
- The Internal Audit & Control Officer will be extensively involved in investigating frauds, corrupt practices or misconduct allegations, undertake regular checks- process and management practice reviews, analyse- records, reports, financial statements and program implementation to ascertain the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal controls in place to mitigate the risk of non-compliance with SCI policies and procedures, donor requirements and local laws.
- S/he shall perform a variety of administrative duties to be developed and assigned by the Internal Audit and Control Specialist.
- This position has 100% LOE on the Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) Programme (a USAID funded project) in Borno State with a physical presence in the Borno Area Office, North East.
- The role holder will need to work closely with the IC&C team, BHA and many different staff across the organisation and will need to build a network of key contacts relevant to his/her role and engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- On a sample basis, support in carrying out regular reviews of financial, Supply Chain, HR, Administrative and program operation transactions and implementation, ensuring documentation supporting the transactions are in compliance with Save the Children policies and procedures, grant agreements and donor regulations both at Borno Area office and the country office.
- Assist in investigating all approved frauds/corrupt practices or misconduct cases that may be assigned by management, diligently document all relevant evidence and report consistent with SCI standards.
- Support in conducting spot tests on donor requirement compliance in finance, Human resources, administrative, award, procurement, logistics, operations and programme (activities, documentation and reporting) in line with internal control and compliance risk base annual work plan.
- Perform administrative and operational duties as assigned by the IA&C Specialist
- Work closely with programme development unit to further improve risk awareness and responsive culture in designing and developing potential high risk awards and improving compliance culture on the existing awards.
- Support the IA&C Specialist in the preparation of audit reports to be submitted to the Head Internal Control and Compliance unit.
- Support the IA&C Specialist to plan, conduct audits and follow up with action owners on all internal and external audit action plans and provide periodic updates on actions taken.
- Assist in performing internal control compliance reviews on the field office activities including cash and advance management, Supply-chain- procurement & logistics, Asset management, Programme management- documentation and reporting, Data Quality Assurance ( MEAL-Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning) of source documents, stock ( incl. food commodities), beneficiaries and food vendors management, partnership management- on sample basis etc. (in line with the annual ICC work plan).
- Coordinate with the relevant reviewed departments to come up with actionable recommendations to improve any identified weaknesses.
- Work with the IA&C Specialist to flag significant internal control weaknesses to the country management, with actionable recommendations to reinforce those weak controls and support the monitoring of compliance with approved reinforcing controls.
- Assist to track and age all the findings consistent with agreed implementation timelines and follow-up to confirm implemented actions.
- Maintain cordial working relationships with all SCI stakeholders- staff, vendors, auditors, implementing partners etc. through effective communication and exercising professional conduct and objectivity in all dealings
- Deliver training as may be assigned to reinforce internal controls, risk mitigation, Fraud, Bribery, Corruption Anti-terrorism financing, Aid diversion policies’ awareness and prevention.
- Carry out any other responsibility delegated within the role of internal control and compliance duties (both from the Field and CO level).
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A graduate of Accounting, Finance or a related Business field is required.
- 5 years+ related work experience with a not-for-profit organization.
- Good background in compliance, accounting, and internal controls; experience in auditing (internal or external experience).
- Experience in relevant operational areas (e.g. in programme/project management in an INGO context) and experience of risk-based auditing.
- Be highly accurate, detail-orientated, and able to complete multiple projects, with conflicting priorities, on a timely basis
- Good report writing skills in English
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and relationship building
- Able to speak and interpret either Hausa or Kanure local language.
- Strong cultural awareness and be able to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Demonstrate standards of ethics and integrity
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- INGO experience or have worked in a commercial/public sector international organisation in audit and investigative capacity.
- Experience working in emergency responses, and good understanding of humanitarian response activities and emergency management.
- Familiarity with grant requirements of major donors such as USAID, EC/ECHO, FFP, OFDA, FCDO and the UN
- Good financial analysis aptitude
- Experience of Agresso financial software
- Experience of audit
- Counter fraud and investigation experience
- Ability to look at the bigger picture when assessing organisational performance and risk
- Equal Opportunities
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- Health and Safety
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection.
- We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.