The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
SVN No. : SVN2023.06
IOM Classification: G4
Organizational Unit: Health
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Type of Appointment: Special Short–Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
- Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor the direct technical supervision of the Regional Laboratory Specialist, and the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (Abuja)/Migration Health Officer (Lagos), the incumbent will perform laboratory procedures as part of the Health Assessment routine protocols to ensure that identified refugees/migrants are medically fit to migrate in accordance with the medical/health requirements of the resettlement countries and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in Abuja/Lagos, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure strict adherence to fraud prevention measures in all aspects of work performed for refugees/migrants.
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for pre-examination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure strict adherence to bio-safety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures, disposing of, storing and shipping of specimens, including the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required. Implement and comply with the Internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory for performed examinations.
- Assist in encoding, updating, and maintaining electronic laboratory records.
- Ensure the maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Facilitate the maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
- Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology or a related discipline with at least two (2) years of relevant Laboratory experience and valid License to practice in Nigeria.
- 2 years previous work experience in a busy clinical laboratory/medical institution, International Organizations or NGOs.
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint) and experience in working with databases and online applications.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; and,
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Training and experience in TB, HIV, STDs and other communicable diseases testing is an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, multitask, prioritize and manage time
- Prioritizing customers and having the flexibility to respond to various personality types.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) required, working knowledge of the local language.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access).
- Good knowledge of clinical care especially in the Primary or secondary Health Care settings.
- Good communication skills and proven ability in working in a team.
- Counselling, health promotion, public health or migration health skills/experience is a plus.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy, and confidentiality.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
25th January, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter (not more than one page specifying the motivation for application) addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” via: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using “SVN2023.06 Laboratory Technologist, Lagos” as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to: “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line – “SVN2023.06 Laboratory Technologist, Lagos”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply