The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Referent (M / F)
Contract term: Contract under French law;
Contract length: 6 months
Position to be filled: February 2022
Alima In Nigeria
- ALIMA has been present in Nigeria since 2016. Its actions are part of a regional response strategy to health and nutrition emergencies, with a focus on paediatric, maternal-infant and epidemic interventions. ALIMA is present in North-East Nigeria in Borno State (MMC and Jere LGAs) and in Yobe State (Bade and Karasuwa LGAs) where it provides outpatient and inpatient healthcare and nutrition services for IDPs and host communities. In North-West Nigeria, ALIMA is in Katsina State (Kaita LGA) to respond to increased nutritional needs. ALIMA is present in the South-West, in Ondo State (Owo LGA) where teams are treating patients for Lassa fever and conducting research into improved treatment.
- In Katsina state, ALIMA ensures since August 2021 the provision of outpatient and inpatient nutrition services and healthcare for children under 5. ALIMA currently delivers OPD consultations, and supports the ambulatory management and referral of Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) cases in 5 Primary Health Care Centers (PHCCs) in Kaita LGA: Dankama, Sabon Birni (Ba’awa ward), Dankaba, Zabakau (Gafiya ward), Matsai. ALIMA also ensures inpatient healthcare and provides care for SAM cases with complications within its 110 beds stabilisation centre located in Kaita CHC. From the beginning of the project in August 2021 until September 2022, ALIMA treated 2 767 SAM cases with complications at the ITFC level and 30 686 SAM cases without complications at the OTP level. ALIMA also delivered 32 792 OPD consultations for children under 5, while 4 693 were hospitalised at the inpatient department of Kaita CHC.
- In order to improve the early detection of SAM cases among communities, ALIMA provides for MUAC and edema training to mothers, as well as Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) training, both at the ITFC and community level through a trained network of community nutrition counsellors and community health workers. 119 782 mothers and caregivers were trained on the use of MUAC tape and edema detection from January to September 2022.
- ALIMA additionally supports these health facilities through the supply of medicines and medical equipment, as well as building the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MoH) staff for these structures. ALIMA is committed to improving the quality of care and training health workers in the management of severe acute malnutrition. ALIMA ensures access to water and sanitation in health centres through water testing and monitoring and the rehabilitation of latrines in its operating facilities, as well as solid and medical waste management. Hygiene promotion activities within communities are also conducted. ALIMA regularly undertakes epidemic emergency responses in the state, such as its 3 months measles outbreak response from the beginning of April 2022.
- In Nigeria, ALIMA is running four health and nutrition projects in Borno State (Maiduguri/Jere), Yobe state (Karasuwa /Yusufari/ Gashua ), Katsina ( Kaita), Research and Lassa fever response in Ondo State, OWO. ALIMA’s teams in Nigeria represent about 25 expatriates and more than 150 national staff.
Mission Et Objectives
- The Medical Referent of the ALIMA Katsina Project is the ALIMA representative and responsible for the implementation of program/medical activities in KAITA and other LGAs if needed.
- In close collaboration with the Project Coordinator, Medical Coordinator, and Mission Coordination team, define and plan the project objectives and priorities, the risks and constraints, and calculate human and financial needs.
- Cultivate the relationship with the MoH stakeholders in order to implement efficiently and ensure the goals as well as to improve targeted population’s health conditions and humanitarian situation.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Ensures actively in different Wards of Kaita program activities that ALIMA’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners
- Supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project in collaboration with the project team and according to the internal and donor indicators
- Provides technical support to medical personnel in the field ensuring the implementation of all ALIMA medical activities follow relevant policies, protocols, and national guidelines
- Supervises the Nurse Supervisor, Pharmacy Supervisor and medical doctors, (if these positions are in place on the field: SRH Supervisor, MHPSS psychologists)
- Oversees team members work for quality and guidelines compliance, and assist team members when they have questions or problems
- Ensures that skilled, highly motivated and duly registered (by respective professional regulatory bodies) health staff are provided to the project to support staff
- Manages the project pharmacy to ensure efficiency and validate medical orders to the central pharmacy for project activities
- Compiles and analyses medical/program data for reports (medical sitrep…) to the medical coordination and project coordinator on project’s evolution
- Ensures a quality of data collection and epidemiological surveillance system
- Supervises full implementation of safety and health protocols, reporting to the Medical Coordination and Project Coordinator on risky behaviours
- Provides inputs on the budget processes, work plan, procurement plan, and participates in the monitoring of the budget consumption to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Supervises all medical orders for program implementation at the project level with the support of the project team, and collaborates with the coordination team and project team for the international and national medical orders
- Participates in various partner meetings for the smooth running of the project: LGA health and Nutrition sector meetings, technical meetings, partner coordination meetings, etc
- Ensures that excellent communication and effective working relationships are maintained within the project between staff, managers, PC, and mission Coordination
- Participates with the collaboration of the PC, in different assessments in Katsina state and drafting of the proposal. Participate in the opening of new medical activities in different LGAs
- Contributes to the operation and running of any research projects where appropriate by providing clinical advice on the relevance of research projects and attending research team meetings
- Performs any other duty as assigned by the organisation through the Medical coordinator and Project Coordinator.
Experiences & Skills
- Essential Medical degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Medical practice
- Experience in community activities
- Previous experience with ALIMA or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
- Experience in management of cholera is an asset
- Advanced knowledge in Medical management
- Essential computer literacy (Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet)
- Training skills
- Well organised with good negotiation and communication skill
- Ability to work as part of a team, a part of multicultural and multi-disciplinary team, in emergency and under pressure, to manage stress easily and result oriented
- Ability to work in close collaboration with MOH staff
- Can work and create teamwork, flexible, and committed to the assigned position
- Interest in and commitment to ALIMA’s activities, enthusiasm to represent the organisation to others, to travel to different regions of Nigeria
- English compulsory
- Others are an asset like Hausa, Kanuri
- Depending on experience
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee and his/her family
- Evacuation of the employee.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online