|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Power System Engineer, PESD1
Position Number: 50104475
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Position Grade: PL4
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP)’ is a Sector Complex focusing broadly on the Bank’s TYS and High 5 priorities of “Light up and Power Africa” and its cross-cutting theme of climate change and green growth.
- The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- Act as spokesperson for the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex focuses specifically on areas of power systems development, policy and regulation, renewable energy and, climate and green growth.
- The Complex also ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s energy operations in collaboration with the Regional Business Delivery Units (RBDUs).
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Power Systems Development Department (PESD) within PEVP complex has the broad objective of supporting the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, Power Utilities, Regional Economic Communities, Power Pools, Regulators and other stakeholders to develop and improve their own Power Systems and the performance of their utilities for both sovereign (SO) and non-sovereign operations (NSO).
- The Department has six (6) Divisions each supervised by a Sector Manager – a Power Systems Solutions Division (PESD.1) based at the HQ and Regional Power Operations Divisions in each of the Bank’s five (5) operational regions. The position is under Regional Power Operations Division– East (RDGE.1/PESD.4), which is one of the Sector Divisions under the Department (PESD) and the position is located at the Bank’s Rwanda Country Office, and will be directly supervised by the Regional Sector Manager – Power Operations (RDGE.1/PESD.4).
- The position will also support Bank’s Power Systems Development operations in the Eastern Africa Region and other business locations of the Bank as found necessary.
- Under the supervision of the RDGE.1/PESD.4 Manager, the Principal Power Systems Engineer will provide deep sectoral expertise and be responsible for the origination and portfolio management of the energy/power Projects and programs in both public and private sectors, i.e. identification, technical design, appraisal, implementation and supervision of projects / programs linked to lending and non-lending operations in the power sector.
- He / She will provide deep sectoral expertise related to the planning, technical structuring, financing and implementation of power and utility reform operations / programs across the project cycle and power value chain including power generation, transmission and distribution, and power sector reforms and regional integration.
- He / She will work in multi-disciplinary teams and contribute to the delivery of the New Deal on Energy for Africa / “Light-Up and Power Africa and relevant High 5 flagships and priorities, as required.
- The Principal Power Systems Engineer reports to the RDGE.1/PESD.4 Manager.
- At the Country Office level, he/she will work seamlessly with the other Bank staff under the guidance of the Country Manager and provide inputs. The Country Manager will also provide inputs into the Principal Power Systems Engineer performance evaluation.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Sector Manager for Power Operations – East, the Principal Power Systems Engineer will perform the following duties:
Business Development and Pipeline Management:
- Contribute to the preparation of energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSPs), Regional Integration Strategy Papers (RISPs) and design of national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of Regional Member Countries (RMCs); provide support to country office, Regional Power Operations Division – East (RDGE.1/PESD.4), Regional Hub (RDGE) and the Power Systems Development Department (PESD) on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to energy sector and related issues; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory support services to RMCs.
- Take a leadership role, along with staff of Regional Power Operations Division – East, in the process of identification and preparation of private and public sector energy operations related to the development of generation, transmission and distribution networks projects, electrification programs, and power sector reforms.
- Conduct review and quality assurance of project preparation and appraisal documents vis-à-vis technical, financial and economic requirements; including ensuring Bank financed projects deliver positive impacts with regards to the objectives of the ‘Gender Strategy,’ and the ‘Jobs for Youth strategy’.
- Provide technical and advisory support related to power sector planning and power sector reforms; including liaising with client’s technical staff, project engineers and lenders’ engineers and participate in due diligence missions and other project meetings, as necessary.
- Provide support to the RMCs and Bank teams in the origination, preparation, structuring and implementation of complex and innovative power system development projects and providing advisory support services that promote national and regional policies conducive to strong growth and development of the energy sector.
- In line with the objectives of the New Deal on Energy for Africa, engage with HQs, the Regional Hub energy teams, other development partners, project sponsors and developers and other key stakeholders in developing a pipeline of bankable energy infrastructure projects in collaboration and consultation with power utilities, the regional power pool and regional project delivery secretariats.
- Build and maintain good relationships with clients, especially regional independent power producers (IPPs) / public private partnership (PPP) developers and sponsors, power utilities, service providers, Banks, multilateral partners, regulators, government officials and regional energy sector institutions to provide advisory support services for complex transactions and financial analysis, and to facilitate realization of investment opportunities in the power sector.
- Work with staff in other Energy Complex to build needed synergy for complex advisory services to clients, structuring and financial analysis of projects (both public and private).
- Ensure the delivery of economic and sector analytical work related to the development of national and regional power systems and the transformation of utilities.
- Provide sector expertise for quality assurance in the preparation of terms of reference (TORs), requests for proposals (RFPs), and tender documents in line with the Bank’s procurement rules: e.g. recruitment and supervision of expert advisors (and Bank staff), execution of socio-techno-economic feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostic reports.
- Task-manage the Bank’s energy/power portfolio in the assigned countries and carry out all regular portfolio management activities, including conducting supervision and field inspections, and interaction with Project Implementation Units (PIUs) and relevant government departments to guide, monitor and follow-up on implementation issues, review quarterly project progress reports, audit reports, procurement processes and complaints, among others to ensure compliance with Bank policies, directives and guidelines.
- Support Bank effort in implementing a fast-track approach in accelerating project agreement negotiations, including Power Purchase and Power Sales Agreements and Power Wheeling Agreements, for large-scale regional power infrastructure projects.
- Review the various proposals and communications sent to the Bank by its partners, clients and RMCs; and take appropriate action, including issuing of technical opinions on government / client submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports / representation of the Bank in various forums and internal or external follow-up.
- Ensure healthy portfolio management, prepare and conduct review and quality assurance of project completion reports.
Knowledge Production and Coordination:
- Provide technical and advisory support to national and regional institutions in developing high quality power sector development plans, energy sector studies and performance benchmarking strategies, including efficient joint and coordinated approaches to intra- and inter-regional investment planning of power infrastructure projects.
- Support RMCs and the regional power pool in development of policies, laws and regulations that promote development of transparent, predictable and stable energy markets; and, in collaboration with relevant Bank colleagues, design appropriate technical assistance and capacity building programs to address identified skills and competence gaps.
- Participate in meetings and conferences of RMCs, the Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and their technical power development secretariats to influence regional energy policy issues and regulatory changes in line with Bank objectives and strategies.
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department.
- Undertake any other tasks as the Manager RDGE.1/PESD.4 and/or the Director PESD may assign.
Competencies (Skills & Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related electrical disciplines and relevant professional certification(s).
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the power sector planning, power utility operations, power sector project development and implementation.
- Have broad range of experience in at least two of the following areas: power generation (thermal or renewable); and/or transmission and/or distribution and/or retail / vending (including power systems planning, sector regulation, project design, construction, operations and maintenance, and performance monitoring & evaluation.
- Proven ability to work within diverse teams of cross-functional and multi-national professional staff (interpersonal skills) and utilize the talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Demonstrate a highly developed strategic thinking skills allied with an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable policies and regulations and energy sector programs.
- Good listening skills with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions
- Proven ability to formulate and execute plans to achieve the desired work objectives, with minimum supervision from the Manager.
- Demonstrated understanding of sovereign and non-sovereign project cycles (from origination to project closure) and financing structures, including alignment with least-cost national / regional master-plans and project identification, development, design, due diligence, risk assessment / allocation and implementation / management strategy (including procurement strategy, communication strategy, knowledge management, capacity building, handover and other critical success factors).
- Demonstrate effective communication and corporate negotiation skills, proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external; and understanding of when and how to apply diplomacy, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself professionally.
- Up to date knowledge of power infrastructure capital costs and operating parameters of diverse generation, transmission, distribution and retail / vending technologies and business models (including IPPs / PPPs and/or Distribution Concessions).
- Familiarity with strategies, policies, procedures and practices of bi-lateral and multilateral development institutions.
- Networking ability required to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Good understanding of corporate / project finance, procurement procedures and contracting models, contract negotiations (including IPP / PPP contracts).
- Good understanding of the Bank’s / International DFI’s Environmental & Social policy requirements,
- Excellent project management and contract administration skills.
- Clear understanding of the drivers and barriers to the success of power utilities in complex regulatory, socio-economic and political environments.
- Ability to communicate effectively (Written and Oral) in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, Access, Project and Power Point) and familiarity with Development Finance Corporate applications / tools.
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online