|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Development Specialist
Vacancy ID: 2102290
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Duration: 6 months, with possible extension
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- The incumbent will work in the FAO Representation in Nigeria and will be expected to support the implementation of FAO Nigeria Country Programme Framework with emphasis on programme development, resource mobilization and reporting.
- The Programme Development Specialist reports to the FAO Representative (FAOR) and direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programmes) and in close collaboration with the Programme Leads.
- Identify resource partners in development, humanitarian and resilience building, grow and expand the FAO Nigeria portfolio of programmes.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Identify concept ideas and initiate and lead the formulation of project proposals and concept notes, in particular relating to:
- Trust Fund (TF) Projects with Donors,
- Unilateral Trust Funds (UTFs) with Federal and State Governments;
- South-South Cooperation (SSC TrC)) programme and
- TCPs in the areas of Agricultural digitization; Youth Agri-entrepreneurship; Biosafety and Food safety and Agricultural Extension/Research uptake
- Build network of collaboration with governmental and organizational counterparts to facilitate programme coordination and promotion;
- Review of relevant national documents, strategic and development plans/frameworks, namely; economic Sustainability Plan, National Policy on Food and Nutrition and National Strategic Plan of Action for Nutrition, National Livestock Transformation Plan and Nigeria Agricultural Technology and Innovation Plan (NLTP), EU’s multiannual financial framework 2021-2027 with a view to identifying key entry points for FAO Nigeria to enhance/strengthen its resource mobilization drive.
- Support project leads in work-planning, implementation, reporting and project coordination with stakeholders, initiate actions to be taken with relevant partners, Agencies, institutional and stakeholders on issues related to projects management to enhance effective implementation of programmes;
- Contribute in promoting FAO positions and capacities in collaborative activities with external counterparts (co-implementing entities);
- Lead in preparation and drafting of project terminal reports related documents/reports (work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Work with technical units in FAO Nigeria and relevant divisions in HQ, Regional office and sub-regional office for West Africa to lead phases 1-3 of the Project Cycle including: identification, formulation, appraisal and approval;
- Ensure alignment of new projects with the Government humanitarian and development goals, the FAO Nigeria Country Programme Framework, FAO’s Strategic Objectives, and corporate Results-Based Management (RBM) and Project Cycle Management (PCM) guidelines;
- Maintain updated soft and hard pipeline project databases, project tracking and maintain an information database and update monitoring tools;
- Provide regular oral and written updates/brief at Management meetings, monthly donor and staff meetings and monitor (and provide alerts regarding) programme funding opportunities;
- Serve as lead for the preparation of briefs, leaflets and terminal reporting regarding the FAO Nigeria projects, ensuring liaison with relevant technical units for technical quality of CNs, project documents and project terminal reports; and initiate assessments to provide evidence-based for formulating new projects;
- Participate in formulating regular progress reports, final reports, briefs and comprehensive reports for ongoing emergency/rehabilitation/development projects as well as correspondence with recipient governments and donors;
- Support in briefing and capacity building of programme assistants and other lower level programme staff with regards to aspects of FAO project cycle management: budget/work plan preparation, budget revision, project closure and opening and corporate platforms (FPMIS, iMIS, COIN etc)
- Perform other related duties as required.
Candidates will be Accessed Against the Following
- University Degree in Programme Development, International Cooperation for Development, Development Economics or a related field .
- 3 years relevant experience in programme development and management, fundraising, negotiations, public relations/advocacy, preferably in the areas of food and agriculture;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines;
- Experience in a liaison function;
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills;
- Thorough knowledge of FAO’s PCM guidelines and requirements;
- Sound knowledge of FAO’s procedures and guidelines
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the on-going emerging policy issues in the areas of Agriculture, Food Security, Rural Development and Poverty Eradication;
- Strong knowledge and background in Agriculture sector marketing and Value chain in Nigeria;
- Experience in designing, monitoring and evaluating development projects is an asset;
- Experience working with the SDG1 and SDG2 in Nigeria at the national level;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of individuals at high levels in government, private sector and civil society;
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers;
- Experience of working with the government counterparts, national or international financial institutions, private sector/ civil society in the field of economic and social development in Nigeria;
- Familiarity with the agricultural system of different geographical regions, their products and potential internal and external marketing systems.
Application Closing Date
26th August, 2021; 10:59:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination.
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- If you are in possession of language certificate/s from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate/s when submitting the application.