|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist – All Interested Candidates (Snr. Prog. Spec. Health Info. System Strengthening)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2023-012
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 0550 11
Promotion Potential: LE-11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 4. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 25% or less
- Frequent road and air travels. Job holder is required to travel outside of the capital city regularly lasting from 5 days to 2 week
- The incumbent under the supervision of the Lead, Health Information and Health System Strengthening Team will be responsible for providing technical expertise to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) by providing oversight, coordination, and supervision of Health Information System Strengthening activities including Human Resource for Health and Health Information System for CDC in collaboration with other USG agencies, implementing USG partners, and the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- To carry out this responsibility job holder provides the USG team, Ministry of Health, National AIDS Control Agency and other implementing partners technical recommendations and expertise in the design, development, improvement, and maintenance of information systems that strengthen health service effectiveness and efficiency.
- Both the advisory and managerial roles require HMIS technical expertise, results-oriented analysis, clear communication, advocacy, and close collaboration with implementing partners and donors.
- Due to the highly integrated nature of HMIS in all PEPFAR programmatic decision making, job holder represents the agency on HMIS issues at technical working group, policy, and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donor agencies.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Planning and Management (MHPM), Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Information Science/Systems or Biological Sciences (or Biostatistics), is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate/Exclusion/Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in designing, developing, implementing and maintaining health data information systems to support and evaluate health-related program activities is required, inclusive of two years of managerial responsibility.
- The incumbent must possess extensive knowledge of health delivery information systems, health information technology and applications, especially the application of program management and the translation of evaluation data as it pertains to the improvement of program operations, guidelines, and policies.
- The incumbent must have a detailed understanding of the structure and functions of PEPFAR, including detailed knowledge of the agency’s role and function in support of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- Incumbent must have extensive knowledge of HIV/AIDS, STD or TB prevention activities, and broad knowledge of host government health care system and structures including sound understanding with Nigeria Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent written, reading and speaking English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to analyze, understand and inform new health management information systems, health ICT program design, management and implementation approaches is required. This includes application of public health informatics techniques and use of ICTs and methods for data collection, analysis, use, and reporting.
- Ability to design or modify sophisticated computer applications to meet data collection, exchange, retrieval, and reporting requirements is required. Strong oral communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with ministry, national and international working partners.
- Ability to plan, organize and facilitate health information management related capacity building programs (e.g., Trainings, workshops, trainings, internship etc.) is required.
- Good drafting skills are required to provide regular progress reports on various HMIS activities.
- Good leadership skills are required to operate independently with limited direct supervision of day-to-day activities and to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups.
- The incumbent will be expected to exercise tact and diplomacy in applying PEPFAR guidelines to unique and different public health settings, as the programs are highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders.
- Highly developed persuasive skills, ingenuity and innovation are required.
- Advanced keyboarding skills that include both speed and accuracy are required.
- The incumbent should be technically proficient in database design, development, and administration; conversant with all of the software packages and tools necessary for successful health information system development e.g., Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and statistical programs such as SAS, SPSS, or STATA); SQL programming, understanding of both transactional (OLTP) and analytical (OLAP) data environments related to health including spatial analysis, GIS etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 18,063,974 (USD 62,523)
Application Closing Date
1st February, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or exemption document
- Certificate or License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Important Information and Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.