African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Sector Manager, Infrastructure
Position Number: 50092515
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Position Grade: PL2
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- The role of the Infrastructure and Urban Development Directorate is to foster advancement of infrastructure and urban development in Africa.
- The Department provides assistance to the Bank Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in the form of sovereign and non-sovereign loans and grants to finance transport infrastructure and urban development projects and programs.
- The Department also undertakes analytical and advisory activities to underpin lending programs and support policy dialogue with RMCs to formulate and implement infrastructure and urban development sector reforms ensuring that best practices are mainstreamed in policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operation.
- Under the supervision of the Sector Director in close collaboration with the Director General in North Africa, the Regional Sector Manager plans, directs and supervises sovereign transport infrastructure operations and ensures the efficient origination and execution of viable projects as part of the business development process.
- As part of this work, the Regional Sector Manager works in close collaboration with the other Division Managers of the Private Sector, Infrastructure, and Industrialization Complex (PIVP) based at headquarters who support him in his efforts. at managing non-sovereign operations.
- He also works in close collaboration with the Director General and the Country Managers within the framework of the programming of operations relating to the sector.
- He / she is directly involved in the process of originating and executing flagship projects and programs of the High 5s and in the management of staff involved in the project development cycle, from identification to approval by the Bank’s Board of Directors.
Under the supervision of the Director of Infrastructure and Urban Development and the Director General for North Africa, the Head of Division performs the following functions:
Leadership and Management:
- Lead and manage the Division team and ensure that it is efficient and motivated to ensure the success of operations;
- Direct, plan, organize, manage and supervise the activities and work program of the division ensuring appropriate delegation of day-to-day activities;
- Promote the “One Bank” approach and ensure that this culture is anchored in the Division with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism, in order to protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank;
- Provide technical and managerial leadership to staff in the definition and achievement of the Division’s main performance indicators (KPIs);
- Ensure the efficient management of the division’s budgetary resources;
- Strengthen the human and institutional capacities of countries and improve the capacity of the Bank to implement flagship projects of the Bank and to become the leader in knowledge products and advisory services;
- Ensure that the division’s project managers contribute to the development of country strategy and regional integration strategy papers related to their respective High 5 priorities and country of assignment;
- Lead multidisciplinary teams, including economists, engineers and lawyers to identify, prepare, design and appraise projects;
- Pilot and lead the division’s contribution to sector dialogue with government officials in the areas of the transport infrastructure and private sector participation;
- Manage the Bank transport infrastructure lending programs to member countries of the region in accordance with Bank policies and procedures;
- Drive the development of a solid pipeline of public sector projects, programs and analytical work through identification and preparation activities;
- Identify and secure co-financing opportunities as well as the organization of joint promotional activities with other development partners;
- Oversee all stages of the project origination component of the project cycle until presentation to the Board;
- Promote and ensure links at the program level between the activities of the division and those of the other divisions and departments concerned of the Bank;
- Ensure staff performance management, including performance reviews and staff potential assessments, as well as training and development needs;
- Promote an environment that stimulates and rewards performance, initiative, and innovation; and encourages lifelong learning, transparent communication and teamwork.
Competencies (Skills and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Transport Economics or related discipline and a sound knowledge of development issues in Africa;
- At least eight (8) years of experience at increasingly senior levels in transport sector with proven ability to work on highways, railways, aviation, maritime and logistics subsectors, and in Multilateral Financing Institutions;
- Demonstrated and strong track record in identification, preparation, appraisal, and supervision of public sector Transport & Logistics projects in development finance institutions;
- Thorough Knowledge and Experience in Development and understanding of policy making process; project and program design, execution, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to identify and assess critical policy issues and actively dialogue with governments and/or other stakeholders to develop solutions;
- Strong ability to lead analytical and advisory activities including economic and sector work, technical assistance and training and dissemination of best practice with client countries;
- Effective consultation and advisory skills;
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in collaboration with other partners;
- Attention to detail to create high quality output and to set standards for the team;
- Strong ability to plan and manage budgets, mentor staff to develop skills and improve the quality of outputs and outcomes;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other; and
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.