The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer
- The Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer will be responsible for communicating NRCS operations in the local and International media, developing quality reports and materials including audio, visual, print, etc. related to NRCS operations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Develop traditional media, digital/social media communications strategies and programs supportive of NRCS Mission, Vision and Strategic objectives.
- Conceive, execute and monitor CEA strategies that ensure feedback from beneficiaries.
- Ensure feedback received is used to improve programming.
- Ensure communication /CEA initiative results are measured and monitored.
- Oversee the embedding of CEA/PGI principles in all Communications interventions.
- Oversee the deliberate, planned and sustained capacity building of Branch communication officers and volunteers.
- Conceive, execute and manage strategies on branding, publicity, advertising, media management, events management and corporate social responsibility to deliver the society’s reputation and brand positioning aspirations
- Develop relevant policies and guidelines for all aspects of the communications and brand management function
- Fulfill communications capacity on the ground and act as a spokesperson with local and international media when required
- Conduct annual researches to understand the perception of the NRCS brand and activities among the Nigerian public and other stakeholders
- Implement research-based communication strategy to achieve the right brand perception for NRCS and create awareness and buy-in for NRCS activities
- Design and execute communication campaigns aimed at communicating the NRCS message and driving humanitarian values among targeted sectors of the Nigerian society
- Communicate the Red Cross brand personality internally and encourage alignment of the organization around Humanitarian principles
- Collect, collate, analyze and transform data from the field into key messages and calls for different stakeholders and audiences
- Deliberately identify key humanitarian issues to be addressed to the public, media and donors on the situation on the ground and the humanitarian response
- Develop the content for, and align the message of the NRCS website, factoring in functionality, look and feel to NRCS brand
- Conduct assessments of policies and regulations to identify regulatory gaps and opportunities for advocacy to promote implementation of NRCS objectives
- Work closely with other departments to proactively produce facts and figures, key messages, pro active and reactive lines and disseminated them to the mass media.
- Work on advocacy messages to address the different issues linked to the current operation
- Engage in advocacy activities with required stakeholders to solve identified problems associated with NRCS
- Provide context analysis and draft communication pack with key material (facts and figures, key messages, press releases etc.)
- Develop news releases (as needed), videos, photographs with captions, and qualified spokespeople contacts and make available to media and key stakeholders. If security allows, facilitate media field trips to operational areas
- Maintain the NS social media presence throughout the operation utilizing communication tools
- Support the appeal using people at the community level (write stories and interviews, web stories, blogs, video footage and photos with extended captions, provide basic audio-visual material)
- Share any communications material created through this appeal with NRCS for use on various communications channels including the NRCS web page
- Facilitate NRCS in pitching media stories and professionally handling media inquiries with broadcast, print and online media/social media
- Handle launch of the emergency appeal and other major milestones throughout the operation using people-centred at the community level
- Produce advocacy messages to address the different issues linked to current emergency operations
- Anticipate issues based on trends in sector and prepare media materials to stay ahead
Duties Applicable to all Staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Show capacity to assist other members of management and staff, aptitude for maintaining cooperation and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by Line Manager
Key Performance Areas:
- Number and quality of messages published in major traditional and online media monthly.
- Number of electronic and print media journalists on file.
- Number of multimedia content produced annually.
- Number of CEA Strategies executed annually.
- Percentage increase in social media followings or views
- Number of success stories on the NRCS website
- Number of success stories on NRCS Social Media pages/handles.
- Number of print and digital publications produced annually
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree from reputable institution in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or International Policies
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as Journalist/Press Officer and/or Communications/Policy Officer
- Experience in Community Engagement and Accountability
- Experience in managing communications issues in complex and delicate situations
- Experience in building media contacts
- Experience in communications operations in the local media
- Work experience with other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of social marketing, social media and related trends
- Good knowledge of the humanitarian operational context and area
- Knowledge of branding, marketing and advertising
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyze problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proficiency in the use of MS office and data analysis tools
- Knowledge of project management
- Skills in operations management
- Understanding of NRCS support functions
- Articulate when communicating, and a curious and effective listener
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally minded and showing respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Position applied for/Name of Applicant as the subject of the mail.
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.