Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Manager (Consultant)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Duration: Three (3) Months
Contract Type: Consultancy
- Reporting to the Director of Programme Quality and Innovation and based in Abuja, the Senior Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Manager will function as a member of a country management team providing technical support to the Country office projects on GE related functions.
- The position will support the overall management of the CO GE strategy within the Country Strategic Plan in line with Plan’s new Global transformative strategy.
- The role will support CO projects to be more gender transformative and provide capacity building support to Project and partners.
- The Role will liaise with project GE advisors and coordinate with program managers and other members of the CMT.
Dimensions of the Role
- Provide support to the development, implementation and monitoring of CO projects in line with the new Global transformative agenda and Country CSP Gender Equality agenda.
- Lead on national engagement on Gender Equality issues including Child Early Forced Marriage and Violence against Women.
- Will lead gender equality and inclusion of the most vulnerable children (especially girls) across the strategy, programming, policy and grant acquisition domains of our work.
- Act in other capacities as agreed with supervisor.
Programme development & Quality Management:
- Ensure the Plan Nigeria Gender Transformative and Inclusion initiatives are aligned with both the Country and Global strategies.
- Foster strong relationships and work closely with internal and external stakeholders on gender and inclusion work to keep abreast of key policy changes and relevant external issues, and to maximize their role as advocates for the change Plan International Nigeria aims to achieve.
- Create strategic partnerships and close coordination with all stakeholders, including the Government and its relevant agencies, civil society, and donor agencies.
- Ensure strong linkages with the Governance and Monitoring, Evaluations and Research (MER) units so that advocacy and gender and inclusion initiatives and reports are based on evidence.
- Represent Plan at meetings and events where necessary.
- Work with Regional Office and International Headquarters to strengthen and support Gender transformative programming.
- Collaborate with the Regional Office and neighboring country offices on key region-wide initiatives.
- Provide GE related technical assistance to the development and humanitarian program teams to ensure high quality project implementation across all project outcomes.
- Contribute to Gender Equality impact analysis of CO and project activities and advise project teams.
- Lead on the implementation on the GE strategy for Plan International Nigeria.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the Director of Programme Quality and Innovation
Administration and Finance:
- Ensure that administrative support functions are established and maintained in accordance with Plan International administrative policies and procedures.
- With support from the Finance and Administration Team, ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Oversee budget preparation, setting the parameters and ensuring spends and forecast are in line with plans.
- Coordinate mobilization of financial resources related to gender and inclusion activities.
- Ensure that reliable communications/information management facilities are established and maintained.
- Initiate and provide support to development and procurement of consultancy services, and supervise consultants working on gender and inclusion initiatives.
- Ensure project staff are familiar with usage, procedures and relevant protocols.
- Ensure with the Procurement Logistics Manager/Officer the timely and appropriate establishment of all logistics requirements.
Policy, Research and Networking:
- Represent Plan Nigeria at the state and national level and contribute to the visibility of Plans’ work in relevant forums and networks in Nigeria in the area of Gender Equality or as delegated.
- Ensure quality technical input into research documents and publications
- Have and maintain updated knowledge on state, national and global policies. Laws and other related documents on Gender Equality programming.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the supervisor.
Human Resource Development:
- Ensure the development and roll out of necessary capacity building programs to all Plan International Nigeria staff and partners, in collaboration with HR.
- Supports the Country HR Manager in recruitments processes as required.
Learning and knowledge management:
- Submit regular and timely narrative quality reports, including success stories to Country office, WACA and Donors.
- Shares relevant administrative and programmatic information with the country team, region, international and support the proper documentation of all transactions on the projects.
- Support resource mobilization efforts through proposal writing and related engagement.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Graduate of any Social Studies discipline, preferably post-graduate (Master’s or higher) Degree in a Gender, Human Rights, Development studies – specializing on Gender and Development or Social Development related discipline.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the INGO sector, including field and management experience.
- Advanced professional development and experience in gender, inclusion or child protection.
- Strong knowledge of child and women’s rights and gender justice.
- Strong evidence of influencing decision makers, Policies, and brokering cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Significant experience leading gender equality, inclusion in complex international organizations.
- Proven record of accomplishment of leadership within an international organization.
- Compelling influencer and communicator – able to inspire, build consensus and bring people together around a common agenda.
- Experience with a diverse set of stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Project management and grant development experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring inclusive, gender-equitable development programs
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Experience drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Experience of managing people and ability to build, develop and motivate a high performing team, prioritizing effective cross organizational working as a key element of high performance.
- Experience of managing budgets and planning and reporting protocols.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- In-depth understanding of gender and inclusion issues and how these links together with the child rights and human rights-based approach;
- Practical experience of gender transformative and inclusion work in a developing country context.
- Strong abilities in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Sound knowledge on issues of inclusion (marginalized groups including people with disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, indigenous minorities, etc.).
- Ability to effectively advocate for, lobby and present issues to internal and external audiences for children’s right, gender equality and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear, concise reports, concept notes and other documentation.
- Ability to train others in gender and inclusion related matters.
- Expertise in child rights and a passion for development.
- Strong ability to communicate complex technical or policy issues in simple and clear terms.
- Excellent communication skills that effectively represent an organization’s mission and values internally and externally.
- Strong team building and management skills in a virtual or matrixed relationship.
- Confident public speaker.
- Uses evidence-based results to make choices and drive change.
- Taking initiative to be innovative and creative to achieve results.
- Strives for quality in all he/she does, respecting deadlines, working continuously to improve performance.
- Takes responsibility for his/her actions, and learn from success and failures.
- Uses resources as intended, and can account for how he/she has used resources.
- Supports gender equality and diversity, and challenges forms of inequality or harassment.
- Encourages children young people, partners and colleagues to be meaningfully involved in decisions that affect them.
- Listens to and understand views of colleagues and partners. Draws on their experience to ensure high quality work.
- Upholds and demonstrates Plan’s values and behaviours.
- Team-orientated, versatile, personable and flexible.
- Calm under pressure.
- Ability to work comfortably and sensitively across cultures.
- Provides good and adequate administrative support to enable the project meet its agreed program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
Application Closing Date
8th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online