International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Technical Supervisor
CFCN No.: CFCV2021. 080
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organization Unit: Shelter
IOM Classification: Project Assistant (Shelter/Construction)
Type of Appointment: Special Short–Term Hourly Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Slots: 2 Openings
- Working under the overall supervision of the Shelter Program Manager, the guidance from Shelter Project Officer and Site Planner, and the direct supervision of the Shelter Project Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible for construction, supervision, quality control, reporting of the constructions throughout project locations, as well as supporting with any technical issues to support the shelter team, as well as provide support to any other unit that might require technical assistance with construction-related activities.
In Particular, S/he will:
- Plan and analyse all possible construction methodologies and recommend the best and suitable options prior to execution at the sites.
- Interpret designs, technical drawings and related documents and applicable standards or specifications prior to execution of any construction work.
- Conduct site assessments prior to any construction works and in support of site planning activities.
- Carry out overall supervision of construction, site development and site improvement works and report any delays or irregularities in the work to the supervisor for immediate action.
- Manage directly and provide technical support to carpenters and workers on site and ensure adherence to designs, standards, safety and quality.
- Prepare and share regularly progress reports and status reports of on-going construction activities.
- Verify the quality and quantities of materials transported to the construction sites, liaising with warehouse and quality control colleagues and timely reporting nonconformities and other issues to the managers.
- Assist in estimating quantities of materials, equipment and labour required for specific construction, repair and rehabilitation works.
- Orient the local community members and other relevant stakeholders about the project interventions.
- Assist in preparing Bill of Quantities (BoQs) for different type of shelter solutions as required.
- Conduct damage assessments and prepare Schedule of Dilapidation.
- Assist other units with any requests for BoQs and construction supervision, such as Site
- Management Offices for CCCM, Safe Spaces for PSS, rehabilitation works for DDRR, etc.
- Assist with renovation and construction works for IOM field accommodation.
- Conduct any market assessment required for construction materials for updated price.
- Assist Contractors and workers on site in interpreting designs, technical drawings and site plans and study the relevant documents and applicable standards or specifications prior to execution of any construction work, when required.
- Maintain systematic record of all documents related to a project, reports/pictures etc.
- Assist in planning and implementation of distributions, conducting assessments and feedback surveys of shelter unit as required.
- Coordinate internally with relevant units and with external stakeholders in field locations in order to carry out the construction works.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Any other task not listed above when requested by the supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Diploma Level Education in Architecture / Civil Engineering / Urban Planning from a recognized institution.
- Any additional Certificate in relevant field will be an advantage.
- Minimum Two (2) years of work experience in shelter and construction preferably in humanitarian context.
- A sound knowledge of the building industry, local construction techniques and materials.
- Ability to use design software and Microsoft Office suite, as well as GPS devices.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fluency in English and Hausa / Kanuri / Pidgin
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
Monday, 15th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating Position Number on the subject line
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “CFCV2021.080 Maiduguri. Shelter Technical Supervisor”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.