|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Statistician
Position Number: 50076508
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL6
- The core mandate of the Vice Presidency (ECVP) is to lead the Bank Group on prioritizing the generation, analysis, dissemination, brokering and implementation of relevant knowledge solutions in all High-5 operational priorities and the cross-cutting themes of its Ten-Year Strategy. Such solutions must be a clear response to priority development challenges facing regional member countries (RMCs), individually or collectively and need to involve RMCs in both the planning and implementation of the solutions.
- The solutions include:
- Research on major development issues facing Africa and their relation to global economic governance and other major global public goods;
- Country diagnostics and future perspectives;
- Policy dialogue and advisory services;
- conomic, sector, and thematic knowledge work;
- Improving national and sub-regional statistical systems;
- Preparation, design and support to implementation of public financial management and Governance operations;
- Capacity development for policy formulation and implementation;
- Technical assistance and advice related to RMCs’ management of natural resources; and
- Knowledge dissemination and development of national, regional, and inter-regional knowledge networks.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Statistics Department is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components:
- Providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and Sustainable Development Goals agenda across Africa,
- Mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.
- As part of the Statistics Directorate, the Economics and Social Statistics Division ensures that Regional Member Countries provide the Bank with timely, reliable, consistent and regionally comparable data on economic and social activities (trade, industry, agriculture, finance, infrastructure, population, demography, poverty, education, health, SDGs monitoring etc.).
- Its principal activities are: to develop and manage statistical systems needed to support the operational work of the Bank Group and its development research activities; and to prepare the Bank Group’s official statistical publications and provide statistics and statistical analysis for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report and other important Bank’s publications.
The Statistician will be responsible for contributing to the reliability of the bank’s statistical data through the following main activities:
- Update country and sector information on Social statistics, National accounts, Prices, Government Finance, Balance of Payments, Money and Banking, Financial Flows, Trade Statistics, infrastructure statistics and Bank Group Operations statistics,
- Update country and sector reports for African countries and support, statistical capacity building
- Contribute to the preparation of Bank statistical Publications and briefs
- Provide statistical support for regional integration: develop and maintain a system to monitor regional integration.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager Economic & Social Statistics and Chief Statistician, the Statistician will:
- Provide and maintain statistical database on Regional Member Countries to support the Bank’s analytical work, in the specialized fields of Economic statistics (National accounts, Prices, Government Finance, Balance of Payments, Money and Banking, Financial Flows, Trade Statistics) and Bank Group Operations statistics.
- Provide support to estimate and analyse macroeconomic aggregate on Regional Member Countries and at the regional and sub-regional levels, identify indicators, develop models, and apply statistical methods such as trend analysis, forecasting methods to estimate aggregates.
- Contribute to the production of African Economic Outlook by (i) collecting data from countries; (ii) generating country economic forecasts; (iii) producing the charts and statistical annex tables.
- Generate of economic/social/financial aggregates figures (Africa, Regions Economic Groupings,) for several indicators.
- Promote the use of the Bank Data Portal, including the use of the Highway Information System within the Bank, in Regional Member Countries and among development partners.
- Undertake activities in the Africa Information Highway Initiative (SDGs, EGDDS, High 5s).
- Assist countries in the implementation of the AIH through trainings at country and regional levels on the Open Data Portal.
- Support the Africa Infrastructure Knowledge Program team in the collection and generation of statistics and indicators on infrastructure services (Electricity, Water, Sanitation, ICT and Transport)
- Assist in developing and maintaining a framework for monitoring and evaluating development indicators to support the Results Measurement Framework for the Bank.
- Provide the statistical input for the Bank Group’s Annual Report, the African Development Report, the African Economic Outlook, the African Statistical Yearbook and other important Bank publications.
- provide statistical and analytical support to meet the operational and research needs of organizational units throughout the Bank by providing advice and assistance on use of appropriate statistical methods and techniques, on data sources, its availability and quality, and by participating in missions where statistical issues are of particular importance.
- Assist in the printing process and the dissemination of the publications within the Bank and to officials and institutions in member countries.
- Undertake field mission or other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or the manager.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Statistics, Economics or a related domain.
- Specific Degree or certificate relevant to database management systems, database software/web applications will be a plus.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in the field of official statistics. Working experience should include statistical information system.
- Capability of developing and managing statistical information system.
- Strong background in quantitative methods and knowledge of data collection Methods and analysis.
- Ability to identify analysis biases (false data, data in deviation …) and purify the database collected.
- Ability to synthesize the data collected and choose the most relevant modes of representation.
- Effective advisory skills with analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability to interact effectively with staff members at all level
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and competence in the use of other Bank standard software applications (Word, Access and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
3rd August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This Position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct firstname.lastname@example.org.