|Before You Continue, Checkout:|
|Graduate & Non-graduate Jobs in Nigeria Today|
|Jobs in Lagos||Jobs in Abuja||Jobs in Rivers|
|SSCE Jobs||OND Jobs||NCE Jobs|
|HND Jobs||Bsc Jobs||Msc Jobs|
|MBA Jobs||Phd Jobs||FSLC Jobs|
|Remote Jobs||Engineering Jobs||Oil & Gas Jobs|
Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sustaining Operations Engineer
- This is a fast-paced engineering role in Linux-based software-defined infrastructure and applications, covering all layers of the stack, including bare metal, virtualization (KVM) and containerization (LXC/LXD), storage (Ceph and Linux filesystems), networking (OVS, OVN and Core networking), up to OpenStack and Kubernetes, and the open source applications running on top of them.
- This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and open source to build a career with Canonical and drive success for our customers, community and the company. If you have great communication skills, and a passion for troubleshooting and fixing issues in technology used by millions across the world, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
- This role deals with critical issues in the open source stack that require deep debugging and troubleshooting skills. Our engineers have to be able to work productively at any level of the stack above the kernel, in a wide range of applications, to understand and address the software issues at hand. Our group is critical to the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu itself.
- You will be the final point of escalation for operational troubleshooting and driving issues to resolution with workarounds, guidance, and fixes to be released upstream and in Ubuntu.
As a Sustaining Operations Engineer you will:
- Resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu, OpenStack, Ceph and/or Kubernetes
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical’s field, support and product engineering teams
- Participate in upstream communities
- Debug issues, propose workarounds, liaise with Software Engineers on producing a patch
- Demonstrate good judgment in technical methods and techniques
- Prioritize work and manage your time effectively against priorities
- Participate in team activities to improve processes, tools, and documentation
- Maintain clear, technical and concise communications
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Debug issues and help in producing high quality code to fix them
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 5 weeks per year, one week at a time, for internal and external events
- Provide subject matter expertise as the final point of escalation on operational issues
The successful Sustaining Operations Engineer will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Professional experience troubleshooting advanced Linux issues
- Exceptionally strong experience with either Linux, LXD, OpenStack, Ceph or Kubernetes
- Strong debugging experience with Python, Go, C or C++ on Linux
- Ability to troubleshoot with gdb, pdb, tcpdump or other tools
- Familiarity with git source code repositories and branches
Who you are:
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have interest in, and experience with most of the following: Ubuntu Linux – kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, distributed systems.
- Work from home, no “return to office” – take back those commuting hours and save those vehicle/transit costs!
- Daytime working hours – Highest rated work/life balance in the company
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack, and more
- Time off for conferences, obtaining certifications, conference and tuition costs covered
- Ongoing talent development program
- Initial mentoring program to bring up to speed on needed technologies
- Compensation and time off for weekend shifts worked.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online