Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: VP, Software Engineer
Slots: 6 Openings
We will structure our engineering organisation around these six VP roles, reporting to the CEO, in no particular order:
VP Engineering, Ubuntu:
- Ubuntu itself – the server and desktop experience, kernel, low level system, toolchains, and runtimes such as Python and Java.
VP Engineering, Cloud:
- Our public cloud experience on AWS, Azure, GCP, Oracle, IBM, our Docker images and container capabilities, and our private cloud offerings, including MAAS bare metal cloud, Kubernetes, OpenStack, OVN, OVS, Ceph and LXD virtualisation.
VP Engineering, SAAS:
- Our online services, including our systems management service, our software distribution systems for debs, snaps, Docker images and charms, and our developer collaboration infrastructure.
VP Engineering, IoT:
- Ubuntu Core and offerings that enable next-generation secure devices for the edge and IoT, from automotive to drones, from the factory to telco, home and office environments.
VP Engineering, Information Systems:
- Commercial systems for Canonical and customers, including our own internal systems, security offerings, and IT operations solutions. This is effectively a combined engineering leadership and CIO role.
VP Engineering, Enterprise Solutions:
- Open source enterprise offerings from databases through data lakes and document stores, analytics, MLops and visualisation, to identity management, model-driven devops, and cloud-native operations of the entire open source application universe.
Required Skills and Experience
- Candidates should have a track record of successful product delivery in the software industry, the ability to speak compellingly to a global industry audience, the ability to plan and organise across multiple products and teams, clear leadership skills, an appreciation for open source, and hunger for commercial success.
- Exceptional academic results at high school and university
- Degree qualification in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Passion for high quality, usable, fast and reliable software
- Extensive management experience with multiple reporting teams
- Confidence in public speaking
- Exceptional work ethic
- Ability to travel internationally for company and industry events
- Successful startup experience preferred
- Public company experience preferred
- Open source experience strongly preferred
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online