The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WPE Case Management Officer
Requisition ID: req17485
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, as well as reproductive health care and women protection services. In 2015 IRC Nigeria developed a five-year long term Strategy Action Plan. The plan has Health, Education and Economic Wellbeing as high priority program areas.
- The IRC WPE program implements Prevention, Response and Empowerment activities to address Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and the focus of this program is to provide good quality health and psychosocial response services to conflict-affected women and girls in Borno State, North-Eastern Nigeria in a timely manner.
Job Overview / Summary
- WPE Case Management officer will ensure overall case management for survivors. She will closely work with case management assistants to make sure that cases are properly documented and follow up made using the case management guideline.
- She will have regular meetings with case workers staff for debriefing and provide regular support as may be needed.
- The Case Management Officer will use the GBVIMS Incident Recorder to record all cases documented by the case workers and be able to make analysis of trends for an informed programming.
- She will also ensure that hard copies of all cases documented are kept in a safe and secured cabinet with lock and key.
- Provide regular supervision to case workers and make sure that staff correctly document cases using the Intake and Assessment form.
- Make sure case workers follow the steps involved in case management, document the action plan and work with survivor to implement plan.
- Follow-up with case workers to ensure developed plans are implemented.
- Ensure case management steps are followed, referrals and documentation are happening in an appropriately and timely manner.
- Attend GBV meetings as may be required.
- Maintain files on all GBV documented cases and follow-ups in all operational areas.
- Regularly update documentation and maintain Database for all documented cases, plan of action and Follow-ups visits using the GBVIMS PRIMERO.
- Conduct regular meetings with caseworkers for debriefing and provide support as may be needed.
- Manage Database of documented cases: to include statistics, and all other relevant information.
- Use the GBVIMS / Primero+ Incident Recorder to analyze cases documented for weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Statistics as required by program Manager / Coordinator for internal and donor reporting in a timely manner. Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with case management actors in the field, including government actors, UN agencies, NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Provide weekly / monthly reports to the Program Manager.
- Any other duties as assigned by the GBV Program Manager / Coordinator.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: WPE Senior Case Management Officer
- Position directly supervises: WPE Case Management Assistants.
- Must have attained at least University Degree in Sociology from a recognized Institution.
- Must have experience working directly with GBV survivors and documenting cases of GBV for at least 2 years.
- Must be Computer literate in MS-Word and MS-Excel
- Should be able to provide mentorship to case workers for capacity building.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients always is essential.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Must be able to read, write and understand English, fluent in Hausa, Kanuri and or other community language.
- Must possess interest and commitment to human rights, gender equality and gender issues.
- Must be a Team Player.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.