Are Forensic Scientist in demand in Canada
In this article, we would provide an answer to the question ‘are forensic scientist in demand in Canada. Before then, it is important to know who a forensic scientist is and what he or she does.
Who is a Forensic Scientist?
Forensic science is the application of scientific methods and techniques to matters under investigation by a court of law. Forensic Scientist therefore apply scientific principles and techniques to matters of criminal justice especially as relating to the collection, examination, and analysis of physical evidence. Forensic Scientists are also called criminalists. According to Wikipedia, they apply science to criminal and civil laws
Responsibilities of a Forensic Scientist
According to the Prospect.com, some of the responsibilities of a forensic scientist include;
- analyse samples, such as hair, body fluids, glass, paint and drugs, in the laboratory
- record findings and collect trace evidence from scenes of crimes or accidents
- attend and examine scenes of crimes
- liaise with teams and coordinate with outside agencies, such as the police
- analyse and interpret results and computer data
- review and supervise the work of assistants
- apply techniques such as gas and high-performance liquid chromatography, scanning electron microscopy, mass spectrometry, infrared spectroscopy and genetic fingerprinting
- present the results of your work in written form or by giving oral evidence
- justify findings under cross-examination in courts of law
- research and develop new forensic techniques.
- sift and sort evidence, often held in miniscule quantities
Job Options of a Forensic Scientist
- Fingerprint technician.
- Evidence technician.
- Pathologist assistant
- Biomedical scientist
- Crime scene investigator
- Forensic science technician.
- Forensic specialist.
- Forensic nurse
- Forensic sketch artist
- Forensic toxicologist
- Analytical chemist
- Forensics manager.
- Forensic investigator.
- Forensic accountant.
- Forensic structural engineer.
Where can Forensic Scientists work in Canada?
Some of the typical employers of forensic scientists in Canada include;
- Public and Private Laboratories.
- Crime Scenes.
- Federal, State, and Local Governments.
- International Organizations.
Are Forensic Scientists in demand in Canada?
There is no doubt that Canada is a land of great employment opportunities. Especially at this time where there is a great need of more workforce in the labour market. So, are forensic scientists in demand in Canada? According to the Government of Canada, Labour demand and labour supply are expected to be broadly in line for forensic scientists over the 2022-2031 period at the national level.
This simply means that there is a average or moderate demand for forensic scientists in Canada.
According to the Canadian Government, the demand of forensic scientists in Canada is expected to be high in areas including; Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
Salary of Forensic Scientists in Canada
According to Canada Job Bank, forensic scientists in Canada can earn as low as $20.81 per hour and as high as $6.4.90 On average, forensic scientists in Canada make up to $35.90
We have come to the end of this article on ‘are forensic scientists in demand in Canada?’ We would love to know your thoughts in the comment section below.