Code for Africa is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Copy Editor
- Code for Africa (CfA) has immediate vacancies for Copy Editors with editorial experience and excellent proofreading skills to join our PesaCheck team.
- PesaCheck is the continent’s largest indigenous fact-checking initiative, with teams in 12 African countries, and is incubated by Code for Africa (CfA).
- It researches and debunks misinformation published both online and elsewhere in more traditional media.
- It also tracks promises by public officials and shines a light on public finances to ensure the public is not misled.
- The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team using digital collaboration tools to create content for a global audience and international media partners.
About the Role
- The successful candidate will join PesaCheck’s fact-checking team. The team is responsible for checking and verifying statements and content from various sources to help the public separate fact from fiction using a range of journalistic and digital tools.
- You will work closely with the editorial team, and occasionally collaborate with other team members in each of the countries where PesaCheck operates in order to verify claims from a variety of sources.
- The content produced will be published on pesacheck.org, and will also be syndicated with various media partners.
- You will also be working to hold public figures accountable and ensure that the media is accurate in its reporting and coverage of issues of public interest.
- This will also require a familiarity with social media as a source of news, as well as a familiarity with news and media consumption patterns in your country.
- You should have solid news judgement, and a deep knowledge of the media landscape in your country of specialisation and in Africa in general.
- You will report to the Chief Copy Editor and will work with researchers/writers/ fact checkers, design team, and other members of the PesaCheck team.
- Sub-edit, revise edit and proofread copy produced by fact checkers
- Verify facts, dates and statistics using standard references sources
- Sub-edit infographics and other visual graphics created by the design and data team
- Ensure publication standards and goals and expectations are met
- Adhere to and maintain PesaCheck’s style guide
Required – minimum requirements include:
- Minimum of 2 years sub-editing experience in a fast-paced newsroom or in the digital journalism space
- Excellent knowledge of grammar and proper compositional practices to aid in rewriting and proofreading,
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English
- Rigorous research skills, commitment to accuracy and attention to detail in order to verify information on diverse topics
- The ability to work fast, creatively and accurately under pressure to deliver content that is credible, current, consistent and always factually correct
- Demonstrable ability to identify misinformation and disinformation on major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Excellent news judgement, knowledge of current affairs and critical-thinking skills
- Strong organisational and decision-making skills
- 4+ years work experience
- Ability to work independently
- Experience in or familiarity with digital collaboration tools, including Slack, Google Drive, and Trello
- A keen understanding of how to use data for storytelling
- Experience and knowledge of digital verification techniques and tools
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with writers, editors, and project team members who work remotely and in different time zones
- Knowledge of French/Amharic would be an advantage but is not essential
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Code for Africa’s labs are located in Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cape Town (South Africa), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), and Kampala (Uganda). Additionally, PesaCheck currently has staff in Bénin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Uganda. So while applicants from these territories are preferred, the role can be performed remotely, and applicants across Africa will therefore be considered.
- Languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Proficiency in any language/s spoken in Africa.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques/technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online