Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs. Currently, the IRC is expanding programs in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe state to address the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities in recently liberated LGAs.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Requisition ID: req23510
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The Finance Assistant will be a key member of the Yobe finance team and will contribute towards the achievement of the field’s finance objectives.
- Under the direction of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant maintains the cash books and is responsible for the accounts payable functions of the department.
- Prepare cash transaction vouchers.
- Review transaction voucher forms for approval.
- Maintain petty cash account register and ensure petty cash reconciliation and replenish the petty cash when it reaches the minimum limit.
- Submit weekly and monthly petty cash summaries to the Operations Officer and Finance Manager.
- Monitor invoices and cash payment request vouchers.
- Process all cash and bank payment as per the approval received.
- Pay cash to the payee in the Yobe Office.
- Prepare mandate for approval and payment to the payee.
- Follow up cash in transit and transfers.
- Make field payments and prepare everyday cash count.
- Ensure IRC policies and procedures are respected in all the cash transactions.
- Liaise with the FIRS/State Board of Internal Revenue for monthly tax remittance
- Ensure control and use of office stationery.
- Photocopy, Scanning of documents for finance office.
- other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Finance Officer
- Position directly supervises: No
- Indirect Reporting: Report to the Snr Finance Manager/Assistant Finance Controller any irregularities that occur within the IRC office, staff compound and sites on policy and procedures.
- Internal: Reports to the Finance office.
- Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments and field offices.
- Represents the Yobe field office for cash withdrawal with external banks.
- HND / B.Sc in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Minimum of 1 year working in the finance function.
- Experience working with NGOs (preferred but not a prerequisite);
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Knack for detail. Able to communicate effectively.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong Computer skills (MS Word, Excel,)
- Must be able to function comfortably in a loosely structured but complex work environment, working and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with Program staff.
- Good supervisory skills, time management and interpersonal skills.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online