One Acre, founded in 2006, supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nigeria MEL Field Supervisor
Location: Minna, Niger
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Role
- By measuring the social impact of our program, OAF Nigeria seeks to discover how we can improve our customer service and the lives of the farmers we serve.
- This is a key role in the MEL field team which consists of managing enumeration teams, training and mentoring field staff, and ensuring high-quality survey and departmental data.
- Your work with OAF Nigeria will directly affect the lives of thousands of farmer families by allowing the organization to quantify the quality of its services and ensure farmers’ voices are heard. You are part of the “eyes and ears” of OAF Nigeria.
- The MEL Officer will effectively support all MEL Survey implementation on the field. You will work directly with Field Supervisors, MEL Data Coordinator and report to the MEL Associate.
Training and staff development:
- Lead survey training with Field Supervisors for new or updated surveys, ensuring complete and understanding of all survey questions and protocols
- Manage training conducted by Field Supervisors, building staff capacity to train enumerators
- Periodically observe enumerator meetings, give feedback to Field Supervisors on how to improve their meetings
- Assist the MEL Associate in keeping periodic staff performance development plans up-to-date and ensure that Field Supervisors improve their skill sets
- Lead sessions during all departmental meetings
- Work with the MEL Associate in mentoring Field Supervisors and support their management and field activities
- Independently manage field surveys and hold weekly in-person meetings with Field Supervisors
- Support periodic Performance Development Review of Field staff
- Prepare the agenda/materials for all enumerator and Field Supervisors meetings
- Work with Field Supervisors to identify challenges in the field and proffer solutions
- Communicate regularly with the MEL Associate to ensure all issues in the field are dealt with
- Plan and control timelines and expenses for surveys and request payments for temporary field staff
- Oversee all departmental procurement and Inventory management
- Monitor the quality of enumerators work through the Field Supervisors
- Work with Field Supervisors to pretests surveys to ensure questions are understood correctly by farmers
- Analyze KPIs and weekly plans of team members
- Support Field Supervisors to prepare back check questions and survey exams
- Work with Data Quality Coordinator to manage survey back checks to improve the quality of surveys
- Assist the MEL Field Supervisors in keeping all departmental documents updated and accurate (Indicator tracker, transport tracker)
- Communicate with the team leadership on challenges with survey implementation, making suggestions for improvements to surveys and protocols
- Work with Field Supervisors to analyze the field feedback receipt for surveys and ensure all performance issues are addressed promptly
- Help prepare surveys and survey materials, and ensure surveys are pre-tested and ready for roll out
- Assist the Field Supervisors in analyzing transportation cost data, ensuring a fair and efficient system of reimbursement.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- We are looking for someone with 3+ years of relevant work experience in similar capacity preferably in rural areas and a passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Humility: We are looking for passionate professionals who combine leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service.
- Creativity and problem solving skills. You always look for alternatives and solutions to problems
- Strong communication skills, as you will be interacting with farmers & traditional leaders, and team members, peers and the leadership team.
- Work experience in M&E or survey operations, especially in a demanding environment such as rural agriculture or in volatile areas.
- At least 2 years of people or project management experience at work or outside of work.
- A willingness to live in Minna, close to our customers full-time – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Computer literacy in at least Microsoft Word and Excel (can maintain complex spreadsheets) required. Familiarity with ODK, CommCare, or similar survey software is essential.
- Language proficiency in both English and Hausa/Yoruba, written and verbal is required.
Preferred Start Date:
- As soon as possible.
- This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Nigeria.
Health Insurance, Paid time off.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online