INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Coordinator
Job Code: SR-49-1902
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (with frequent field visits to other locations)
Starting Date: 15 / 07 / 2021
Contract Duration: 12 months (4 months as probation contract)
Reporting to: Head of Mission hierarchically / Security Advisor functionally
Supervision of: Security Manager
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing 10 projects addressing critical gaps in Health, Nutrition, WASH, Protection, Food Security, Livelihoods, and Camp Coordination and Camp Management services for a highly vulnerable population in the accessible host communities in of Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumeri, Konduga, and Maiduguri Metropolitan Center, Borno State, Nigeria.
General Purpose of the Position:
- Under the supervision of the HoM and the technical support from the Security Advisor, the Safety and Security Coordinator provides the country team with information and technical and operational assistance, monitoring the compliance to INTERSOS security risk management plan of all country’s dispersed operational offices.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- The Safety and Security Coordinator provides the country team with information and technical assistance, monitoring the compliance to INTERSOS security risk management plan of all country’s dispersed operational offices.
- Conducts Situational and Security Risk Assessments to determine risk levels for staff, provide operations updates and recommendations when necessary for all operational field bases.
- Ensures internal incident tracking system is utilized properly: create a security incident database and perform incident mapping, assessments and analysis.
- Develops, updates and ensures compliance with Country Security Plans, policies, SOPs, mitigation measures, Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and Contingency Plans.
- Fills in and regularly updates the Risk Analysis Matrix (threat, likelihood, impact, level of vulnerability, level of risk).
- Conducts maintenance and periodic testing of communication security tree for the mission and review response time.
- Ensures all field staff are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats, duly advises on means of reducing their vulnerability to those threats and develops action plans for security upgrades.
- Monitors the security preparedness of country staff and enforces staff compliance with internal security rules and SOPs, ensuring they are communicated to all staff and understood.
- Ensures mission areas of intervention have adapted communication means, ensures maintenance with the support of the Logistics team. Ensures constant update of the emergency contact list and timely issuance of ID cards.
- Ensures a proper level of preparation before and follow up of movements to the field, ensures transportation means, good fleet maintenance and movement rules which are adapted to the local context to support the Logistics team.
- Ensures regular communication with Head of Mission, Head of Base and Security Advisor.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Organization.
Required Profile and Experience
- An Advanced Degree (Master or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Law, Humanities, Security Studies or related studies
- Minimum 8 years experience at senior level, managing and coordinating security, preferably within the humanitarian sector.
- At least 3-5 years experience within conflict zones of fragile states.
- Experience networking with a broad base of humanitarian actors including government authorities, donors, and INSO.
- Proven experience designing and implementing security management systems within conflict zones.
- Work within the framework of IINTERSOS Nigeria’s core values.
- Act as an ambassador for INTERSOS Nigeria, through professionalism and conduct.
- Adhere to all INTERSOS policies and procedures both technical and administrational.
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- Maintain and care for all equipment issued by INTERSOS Nigeria and for any losses or damages due to negligence you will be liable for repair or replacement.
- Excellent English Language written and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Kanuri and Hausa an added value.
- Resilient and must be prepared to work extra hours, and on weekends.
Application Closing Date
13th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
CLICK HERE FOR MORE JOB POSITONS AT INTERSOS NIGERIA