TeamApt is Nigeria’s largest Agency banking operator and is now building the largest digital bank offering financial services products tailored to meet the needs of the underserved mass market – micropayments, savings, lending, insurance, pensions – using technology and low-cost offline distribution models. We believe providing financial access to the over 350 million Africans who are currently financially underserved will economically empower them and put them on a path to becoming the next generation of middle-class Africans.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Lead, Fraud Desk
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Role
- We are looking for an experienced Team Lead, Fraud Desk that will support TeamApt Limited and play a key role in enhancing customer experience by minimizing the likelihood of fraud in TeamApt’s operations.
- The role would entail working with relevant internal stakeholders across the Product team, Engineering team, Operations team, Risk & Compliance team, Legal team amongst others.
- In addition, the role would entail attending to requests from relevant law enforcement agencies in relation to fraud matters.
As a Team Lead, Fraud Desk, you would:
- Shape and drive the fraud operations vision and strategy for TeamApt.
- Spearhead the strategy and execution for fraud prevention, detection and investigation with a view to preventing/reducing the likelihood of fraud.
- Pro-actively monitor and identify suspicious trends and patterns, suggesting preventative actions and improvements to current procedures, policies, and systems.
- Lead members of the Fraud Desk team to reach their potential, in terms of personal development and performance as a group.
- Achieve continuous improvements in TeamApt’s fraud processes and OKRs, such as false positives to achieve the optimum balance between protecting TeamApt’s business from loss and promoting growth.
- Partner with the Engineering, Risk and Data teams amongst others to create optimum fraud models, systems and tools.
- Develop and expand partnerships with external fraud partners to ensure that TeamApt is utilising adequate fraud prevention and detection tools.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and regulatory changes to identify and validate future requirements and opportunities.
- Develop knowledge of internal data, including user behavior metrics, and payment infrastructure to gain insights into fraud patterns and to further advance TeamApt’s fraud strategy.
- Anticipate risks and in doing so, define appropriate fraud prevention and detection processes, and communicate action plans to stakeholders as required.
- Build the capabilities to scale by analysing high-risk transactions within TeamApt’s business portfolio.
- Identify system enhancements to prevent fraudulent activities, and work with relevant internal stakeholders for implementation.
- Define & finetune fraud detection systems used in processing of electronic payment transactions.
- Act as a subject matter expert for fraud prevention and detection, and work with teams on how to leverage efficient processes and technology
- Set up processes for Monitoring of high-risk accounts / transactions and escalation to the Compliance team for STR filing where appropriate.
- Review and testing of various business units within TeamApt on control and compliance functions to ensure full compliance with internal group policies as well as regulatory requirements.
- Liaise with relevant law enforcement agencies in matters related to fraud.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related fields.
- Preferably 6 – 8 years of practical experience in managing fraud risk, controls and issues within the financial services industry.
- A strong knowledge of cyber risk and common fraud typologies, along with emerging trends affecting fraud and financial crime.
- Strong understanding of internet technologies and protocols and how the manipulation of such can be prevented.
- Experience working with and designing fraud processes, with a high level of automation through ML/AI solutions.
- Ability to demonstrate experience building relationships across the payment and fraud ecosystem, benefiting from the experiences and knowledge of others.
- Strong understanding of the payments technology industry
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to identify new ways to approach common risk and data security problems.
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to quickly learn the business needs, processes, software, and systems.
- Ability to multi-task and pursue multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Strong analytical, organizational and presentation skills
- Excellent written, verbal communications skills and the ability to synthesize information and make clear, concise recommendations.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
What to expect in the hiring process
- A preliminary phone call with the recruiter
- A technical panel interview with Department Leads
- A behavioral and technical interview with a member of the Executive team
- All interviews stages are Virtual.